Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

garyjones027

macrumors member
Original poster
May 4, 2023
Here is a video from in which you can see the guy used Apple Pay in Home Depot USA and the card machine accepted it. This video is from 2014 when Apple Pay was released in the USA.

It is 2023. Apple Pay and contactless payments are not accepted in Home Depot USA. Is it true that Home Depot USA accepted contactless payments before and closed it? Why was this?

Lowes USA say that they will accept Apple Pay and contactless payments in late 2023. Does that mean Home Depot USA will reenable Apple Pay and contactless payments in order to compete with Lowes USA?

Home Depot Canada and Lowes Canada already accepts Apple Pay and contactless payments.

• Haha
Reactions: cateye

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I'm going to guess that it's a cost thing. I can't say how it works in the US, but here in NZ it costs the retailer more to accept a contactless transaction. Some retailers took a while to get on board, and something I've seen in recent months is a surcharge for using contactless (2% seems to be a common figure).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.