Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
The earlier versions of iOS 15 were atrocious on my iPhone 7 for battery life. The latest version of iOS 15 seemed to fix it and that phone now seems to discharge normally.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Of all the iPhones I had, I remember the iPhone 7 to be the one with the worst battery life. But that's just my subjective feeling about it.

Reactions: levmc

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Which ones did you have?

All of them except the 5c and the SE family. OK, not literally all of them, as I always pick one per release, but in general I went "non Plus/Max" up to the 7, and starting from the 8 I had the large ones (8 Plus, XS Max, etc).

andrewv69

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2021
Outer Space
upgraded from the 7 to 13 pro max in december. even after a battery replacement in jan 2021, with 90% battery health and ios 14, it would die super fast with my usual use, which is relatively heavy. less than 2 hrs battery life if i was playing pokemon go, or browsing the internet, or watching youtube. if i opened a pro camera app like moment it would die within 30 mins from full. it also did especially bad in the cold, during some winter days the average use was less than 1 hr, the cold just kills the battery so quick.

if you use your phone more than 10mins/hr a portable battery/charger is a must. obv a used 7 is pretty cheap now but you can find 8's for not a lot more. i don't have personal experience with that but my friend used to use hers more than me and it lasted many hours, don't have a number but enough to not require carrying a battery/charger everywhere.

Reactions: decafjava

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
upgraded from the 7 to 13 pro max in december. even after a battery replacement in jan 2021, with 90% battery health and ios 14, it would die super fast with my usual use, which is relatively heavy. less than 2 hrs battery life if i was playing pokemon go, or browsing the internet, or watching youtube. if i opened a pro camera app like moment it would die within 30 mins from full. it also did especially bad in the cold, during some winter days the average use was less than 1 hr, the cold just kills the battery so quick.

if you use your phone more than 10mins/hr a portable battery/charger is a must. obv a used 7 is pretty cheap now but you can find 8's for not a lot more. i don't have personal experience with that but my friend used to use hers more than me and it lasted many hours, don't have a number but enough to not require carrying a battery/charger everywhere.
It seems like you gave your phone quite the heavy usage.

Also, it is important to note that the 7 had one of the smallest battery capacities.

chrizzz09

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2013
Germany
I had the iPhone 7 since release in 2016 and back when it came out the battery life was fine. I remember getting through the day no problem. But subsequently with battery health dropping and newer iOS releases battery drainage started to really affect it. After 2 years I replaced the battery (when the battery replacement program for 29€ was still a thing), but even with that the phone wouldn't last just as long as it was on release. I guess new iOS features really took a toll on the old chip set.

Reactions: levmc

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
The earlier versions of iOS 15 were atrocious on my iPhone 7 for battery life. The latest version of iOS 15 seemed to fix it and that phone now seems to discharge normally.
When did the latest version of iOS 15 come out?

levmc

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 18, 2019
So it seems like there are some who say that the newer updates made the battery life better, and some who say the opposite.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
I have 15.5 on my 7+, and battery life is not worse nor better than iOS 14 or 13. Its still mediocre because the phone cannot utilize all the cores at the same time, only either the performance cores or the efficiency, so most task that turns in the performance cores will drain battery and made the phone overheats. But standby time is amazing, it can last for days if I don’t use it.

Still better than the 6s. I believe the 6s has the worst battery.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
We are talking about a rather old phone here which in many cases will be using a degraded battery. I will say that in my experience my 13 Pro Max has the best battery life of any iPhone - and I had the 4, 5, 6, and 7 Plus. The 6 had the worst.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.