Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Oct 24, 2021
What do you all think
Yes and no. No one needs two phones unless it is a business requirement to have separate lines and be on call. Otherwise it is more of a hobbyist type of thing.

Some people really like cellphones and get bored using only one device so they will alternate. Some people keep a cheap phone as a back up phone to their primary. There are endless reasons either way to have or not have two phones.
Is it weird? I think it is common enough not to be considered weird although I don't think most average consumers buy more than one at a time.

Reactions: max2

edubfromktown

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2010
East Coast, USA
Whatever works... personally, I've never had 2 phones.
  • They are expensive
  • Readily available in stores near me if my daily driver dies
  • I'm in purge mode (nearing retirement). The idea of a second device sitting around in a drawer makes me cringe
I've evaluated new ones and sent them back within the return window if expectations were not met.

Aneres11

macrumors 601
Oct 2, 2011
There’s already a thread for this very same topic. Mods, I suggest merge and close?
Do mods even come here? We behave ourselves (usually) unlike the 🍎 lot 😂

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Not weird at all in this day and age. I have 2 phones because of work, I have a Samsung galaxy with my work emails, chats, and a few programs. I hate carrying around 2 phones tbh but it's necessary..... Other people do it as a tech hobby, some do it to have a backup phone just in case, and some do it for nefarious reasons lol..... Either way its not weird at all in 2024 and nobody will bat an eye.

Catasstrophy

Suspended
Jan 22, 2024
I have Galaxy Z Fold5 and iPhone 15 Pro Max, simply because I can. I wanted the Fold because it's an interesting new piece of hardware, and the iPhone because my entire house is all in on Apple's ecosystem and I prefer that.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I have Galaxy Z Fold5 and iPhone 15 Pro Max, simply because I can. I wanted the Fold because it's an interesting new piece of hardware, and the iPhone because my entire house is all in on Apple's ecosystem and I prefer that.
I'm just curious, do you have issues with imessage and texts when switching back and forth? like do your imessage conversations get screwed up... how does that work? Because I could see that being the one hindrance when switching back and forth between iOS and Android.

BenGoren

macrumors 6502
Jun 10, 2021
There’s a vast spectrum covered by the concept of “two phones, one person.”

In general, it’s a bad idea to use your own phone for your job — for all the same reasons why it’s a bad idea to use your own PC for your job. If all you use your phone for on the job is phone calls and SMS, it’s probably not a problem. But as soon as you start down the road of company-controlled messaging systems, two-factor authentication … and, especially, using the camera, storing documents on your phone, and the rest … well, you’re opening up everybody for a world of hurt.

Any company that has any sort of security standard it must adhere to (HIPPA, financial, etc.) will forbid you from using your own devices for work. That, or they’ll essentially take ownership of your computer, forcing you to install their own spyware and the like. (Don’t let them! Make them provide you with company-owned devices. If you have no other choice, buy your own dedicated stand-alone devices that you only use for work. Another option: have the company provide you a dedicated VM that they host, and never do anything other than remote into it.)

Another not-unusual scenario is that of the developer who needs to make things that run (and run well) on multiple platforms. Closely related are product reviewers.

Past those sorts of scenarios, there’s less and less reason for multiple phones. But, “because I want it,” provided you have the means, is, of course, a perfectly valid reason.

Cheers,

b&

Catasstrophy

Suspended
Jan 22, 2024
I'm just curious, do you have issues with imessage and texts when switching back and forth? like do your imessage conversations get screwed up... how does that work? Because I could see that being the one hindrance when switching back and forth between iOS and Android.
My primary SIM is in my iPhone, and I use data-only on my Fold with BlueBubbles for messaging and T-Mobile DIGITS for calls, so to other people it's indistinguishable that I'm on two different devices.

Reactions: bigjnyc

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
What do you all think
Depends, if its a work phone and your private, then absolutely.
I sometimes use a "travel" phone when I'm away travelling, its quite nice to pick up a local sim just telling the closest family that i'm alive and just use the phone for photos and basic stuff.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
I've got 2 but I only ever use the (old, cracked Huawei P20 Pro) as a camera or for video calling.

Reactions: ramram55

dhershberger

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2018
Ohio
I have two phones: my personal iPhone 14 Pro and a work-supplied iPhone 15 Pro. I am allowed to use the work phone for personal use but I choose to keep a personal phone in case I ever lose this job. I wouldn't want to be out of work and have to replace a phone (we are allowed to take our numbers if we wish).

At one point I had both devices assigned to my iCloud account so all the niceties of iCloud was on both devices. Texts to my personal number, for example, would appear on both phones, but texts to my work number would just stay on my work phone. I eventually removed my personal iCloud account from my work phone because I didn't own the device and could lose exclusive access to my personal data. It's not that they would really want the data, but I don't want someone else to have the option.

ignatius345

macrumors 604
Aug 20, 2015
I wish my carrier (or any carrier, really) would let you keep two iPhones activated at the same time on the same number. I'd assume you wouldn't be able to have them both on the network simultaneously but that would be fine. I just want to activate my tiny 1st Gen iPhone SE as a mini phone for times when I want to travel light.

LIVEFRMNYC

macrumors G3
Oct 27, 2009
There’s a vast spectrum covered by the concept of “two phones, one person.”

In general, it’s a bad idea to use your own phone for your job — for all the same reasons why it’s a bad idea to use your own PC for your job. If all you use your phone for on the job is phone calls and SMS, it’s probably not a problem. But as soon as you start down the road of company-controlled messaging systems, two-factor authentication … and, especially, using the camera, storing documents on your phone, and the rest … well, you’re opening up everybody for a world of hurt.

This is why I love Secure Folder on Samsung. I set up the corporate exchange account within Secure Folder, and all the corporate settings and access are contained within Secure Folder. Emails, Contacts, Policies, and etc. And I was still able to get notifications outside Secure Folder. IT can't touch anything outside of Secure Folder. I don't think most realize how valuable this is.

I wish iOS had a Knox/Secure Folder equivalent.

Reactions: Technerd108

XboxEvolved

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2004
Not if you sell drugs or got side chicks. I guess maybe more business types would have a company phone.

LucyLouie

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2015
Texas
I have a young adult son who has to carry two phones because he's in the financial world. He gets looked at funny all the time for having two phones when he is out at nightclubs and other social events. I guess people figure it's nefarious, but it definitely isn't in his case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.