Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nnick

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Milwaukee
I bought a Macbook a couple weeks ago and I love it! My wife wants to get a laptop for herself and although she likes my Macbook she prefers the size of the 12" iBook. I may be able to get her a brand new 12" iBook for around $750. She would like to keep the laptop for 3 or 4 years if possible. Do you think buying an iBook is worth it? She plans on using it mainly for office apps and web browsing.

Thank you for any input.

AcousticDoc

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2005
office apps and browsing are totally worth it! However, I reccomend searching a little bit harder and buying a used ibook G4 for the same price but loaded with better goodies. I saw a post ahwile ago for a Ibook G4 1.33, 1.5 GBRam, 80 GB Harddrive and loads of accesories in excellent shape with only 33 load cycles for only 760! WHAT A STEAL!

Planner Dude

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2006
nnick said:
I bought a Macbook a couple weeks ago and I love it! My wife wants to get a laptop for herself and although she likes my Macbook she prefers the size of the 12" iBook. I may be able to get her a brand new 12" iBook for around $750. She would like to keep the laptop for 3 or 4 years if possible. Do you think buying an iBook is worth it? She plans on using it mainly for office apps and web browsing.

Thank you for any input.

Look at: to buy Ibook or Mac Book???? Page 6 of this thread

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
nnick said:
She would like to keep the laptop for 3 or 4 years if possible. Do you think buying an iBook is worth it? She plans on using it mainly for office apps and web browsing.
I'm not sure about the time frame simply because I love me new hardware. :eek:

But the latest iBook for word processing and web browsing? I love it! I have that exact iBook and I really do love it. Great battery life, fantastic wi-fi reception, doesn't get nearly as hot as my 12" PowerBook used to get... etc.

If she likes it, then why not?

In a few years, it'll still be able to handle these same basic functions and apps w/out a hitch.

nnick

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 17, 2006
Milwaukee
Thank you for your replies! If I can get this iBook for $700 I will go for it.

interlaced

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2005
Yeah, get it if you can. I love my iBook! It's a plus if you get one of the latest ones that have AE and Bluetooth built in. :)

Jiddick ExRex

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2006
Roskilde, DK
If she's only going to use it for practical stuff like browsing, adjusting calendars etc. then go for it. I am gonna use my iBook (and are) for that right now and it works like a charm.

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
spacehog371 said:
splurge and get a macbook!
If you read the OP at all, you'd note that the OP already bought a MacBook but his wife prefers the smaller size of the 12" laptops.

rawkstar320

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2006
this seems like as good of place as any
(sorry if there is already a thread on this...i didnt find one)
ok...
i would like to buy a G4 laptop..ibook or powerbook. since i dont have a lot of money to through around its going to be used...is ebay a good place to get this? i want to be able to run osx quite well...anything i should look out for? ive never bought a computer off ebay before..and ive never had an OSx Mac before(but i do LOVE the os to death)
and ideas?
stuff to look out for?
thank you for ANY and ALL help!!!

Jake

9Charms

macrumors regular
May 19, 2006
Vancouver, BC
If you're going to buy off eBay, make sure the seller has over 50 feedback, with 100% positive. Check eBay's guarantees. Or try to deal locally, that way you actually get the machine. Buy and Sell, or craigslist are good places to look. But becareful, lots of scammers out there. Your local dealer might have a good used machine as well.

Miguey

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2006
So Cal 909
if you can, get the ibook, its a great machine...especially if shes only gonna be web browsing and such...she wont be disappointed

mopppish

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2005
I noticed that Apple is still selling both the 12" and 14" ibook models through the online education store for THE SAME PRICE THEY'VE ALWAYS BEEN! This means that with an ed discount, the Macbook is only $100 more than the 12" ibook and $150 LESS than the 14" ibook...
I still think that the ibook is a great laptop, but I can't believe that they haven't further discounted the remaining ibooks for students. That's A BIG difference in power between the G4 in those and a Core Duo for about the same price point, AND an inferior screen, AND an inferior hard drive, etc.
So, my point is, the ibook is still great, just make sure you pay a lot less than $949 for it! :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.