Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
I am considering buying a price-lowered nMP to do video post-production. However, I can't make up my mind. Would you like to give me some advice?

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Frank, I believe there have been a few articles pointing out that a "loaded" 27" iMac matches some of the lower nMP in that venue. This might be worth investigating as that would be a far better bang for the buck. I don't know how discounted the nMP are but I think you also need to investigate the best choice of video to match the work you do and of course the cost of external storage via USB3 or Tbolt. The former is just as fast for single SSD while TBolt is the superior choice for RAID set up for speed over single drive -mechanical or SSD).

http://barefeats.com/mpt5k1.html - Barefeats has some interesting run downs on various equipment. While not the end all to testing, they definitely provide a great starting place.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
I am considering buying a price-lowered nMP to do video post-production. However, I can't make up my mind. Would you like to give me some advice?

Any raw performance advantage with the nMP hangs on whether or not your applications are optimised for using dual GPUs to accelerate processing: you need to track down benchmarks for the specific applications you use, and compare with a top-end iMac.

My feeling is that the new prices are great for existing nMP users that need extra machines or replacements, but if you're not already using nMP, now is not the time to start.

Reactions: phrehdd

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
phrehdd and theluggage:

Thank you very much for your replies! I obtained a lot of information from your replies. With your input, I now have several options.
(1) Get a fully-loaded 12-core nMP with two D700s now.
(2) Get a fully-loaded 27" iMac now.
(3) Wait for the updated iMac while using the current machine.
(4) (A luxury option) Get a fully-loaded 12-core nMP with two D700s now and wait for the updated iMac.

By the way, I use FCPX.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
phrehdd and theluggage:

Thank you very much for your replies! I obtained a lot of information from your replies. With your input, I now have several options.
(1) Get a fully-loaded 12-core nMP with two D700s now.
(2) Get a fully-loaded 27" iMac now.
(3) Wait for the updated iMac while using the current machine.
(4) (A luxury option) Get a fully-loaded 12-core nMP with two D700s now and wait for the updated iMac.

By the way, I use FCPX.

If you are into the higher end Mac Pro, then it is superior for FCPX than the iMac. The combo of at least 6 core plus 64 gigs RAM and D700 vid, puts it easily ahead of the best iMac today for FCPX. I am sure some pros that use FCPX could give more specific data than myself. The key here is multi-core for complex projects, superior video cards that can be exploited (D700) and the most obvious is that the Mac Pro can take more RAM than the iMac.

Reactions: LotusLord

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
I eventually placed an order for a 12-core nMP with two D700's, 32 GB memory, and 1 T SSD. I did not get 64 G memory because it is way too expensive. If it turns out that I do need 64 G memory, I can get it from somewhere else for less than one fourth of what Apple charges.
The keyboard, mouse, and trackpad has already been shipped. When it arrives, I will first use it with my Apple Thunderbolt Display. I may get a 4K display.

Reactions: phrehdd

MRrainer

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2008
Zurich, Switzerland
If you need it now and you can justify the cost, this one will keep you smiling for a while.

Whenever that new "modular" MP hits the (virtual) shelves, it will certainly blow everything else out of the water - including the previous top-model.

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
If you need it now and you can justify the cost, this one will keep you smiling for a while.

Whenever that new "modular" MP hits the (virtual) shelves, it will certainly blow everything else out of the water - including the previous top-model.

I do need it badly now for editing my lecture videos. I know that it can get me through the two current projects. Unfortunately, I can't wait for the mMP! Fortunately, I won't have the buyer's remorse since my projects will be done before the mMP arrives! If I have new projects when the mMP comes out, I may take a look at it.

Last edited:

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
When the "mMP" comes out, I wonder which will have more value, the present "nMP" can or the last incarnation of the cheese grate MP. FrankHahn, would this also add into your thoughts on what is worth getting and when?

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 17, 2011
When the "mMP" comes out, I wonder which will have more value, the present "nMP" can or the last incarnation of the cheese grate MP. FrankHahn, would this also add into your thoughts on what is worth getting and when?

I actually like the trashcan form factor as demonstrated by my purchase. I hope that Apple will keep this form factor when the mMP comes out. They can still use the name "Mac Pro" for the trashcan. They can give the name "Mac Pro+" to the mMP.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
I actually like the trashcan form factor as demonstrated by my purchase. I hope that Apple will keep this form factor when the mMP comes out. They can still use the name "Mac Pro" for the trashcan. They can give the name "Mac Pro+" to the mMP.

Glad you like the nMP. Sadly, it turned out to be a dead end for development and was rather challenged in many respects out the door (thanks to Apple itself). We'll see what the next incarnation is all about when Apple figures it out and gets it out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.