Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
Considering getting the Apple TV 4K 2022 and wondering if it’s worth getting the 128gb model for the thread support. I already have a HomePod mini and wouldn’t use the Ethernet, so is there any value to the more expensive model just to have one more device with thread support?

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
so is there any value to the more expensive model just to have one more device with thread support?
If you plan on playing games, or you might in the future, then the larger size is worth it.

I was constantly dealing with out of storage messages on my older 64GB Apple TVs, so the large storage size was welcomed for me.

When it comes to tvOS games and Apple Arcade games, it only takes about a dozen large games to fill up the storage of the 64GB Apple TV, and only about 6 games for the 32GB models.

If you already have a device for Thread, don't need the Ethernet, and not interested in tvOS games, then the cheaper ATV4K3 would probably be the better choice for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: asld

asld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
If you plan on playing games, or you might in the future, then the larger size is worth it.

I was constantly dealing with out of storage messages on my older 64GB Apple TVs, so the large storage size was welcomed for me.

When it comes to tvOS games and Apple Arcade games, it only takes about a dozen large games to fill up the storage of the 64GB Apple TV, and only about 6 games for the 32GB models.

If you already have a device for Thread, don't need the internet, and not interested in tvOS games, then the cheaper ATV4K3 would probably be the better choice for you.
Thanks!

ColdCase

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
NH
Considering getting the Apple TV 4K 2022 and wondering if it’s worth getting the 128gb model for the thread support. I already have a HomePod mini and wouldn’t use the Ethernet, so is there any value to the more expensive model just to have one more device with thread support?
Well thread isn't prime time ready yet, those I've known that have tried it found it unstable, devices have a tendency to disappear for hours. Its kinda of a wild west. Most went back BT. Someday it may be ready, but there may be another AppleTV upgrade by then. If you have a stable homekit setup, I wouldn't mess with it and buy a AppleTV just for that feature. If you are starting out fresh, you may want to give it a try and help the developers work the bugs out. My opinion of course.

Reactions: asld

asld

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 4, 2022
Well thread isn't prime time ready yet, those I've known that have tried it found it unstable, devices have a tendency to disappear for hours. Its kinda of a wild west. Most went back BT. Someday it may be ready, but there may be another AppleTV upgrade by then. If you have a stable homekit setup, I wouldn't mess with it and buy a AppleTV just for that feature. If you are starting out fresh, you may want to give it a try and help the developers work the bugs out. My opinion of course.
Thanks, good to know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.