Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

darkdream

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Within the past month I made a switch to macs and bought a 13 inch mbp and a 15 inch 2.66 ghz mbp and wondering if it is worth getting a macbook air. What would my benefits be? Money is not a factor, but I do not like to waste money on something that is a rip off or useless. I am just a college student, but I use my 15 inch and going to use my alien ware m17x as a desktop replacement.

bcburrows

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2009
Bristol
Within the past month I made a switch to macs and bought a 13 inch mbp and a 15 inch 2.66 ghz mbp and wondering if it is worth getting a macbook air. What would my benefits be? Money is not a factor, but I do not like to waste money on something that is a rip off or useless. I am just a college student, but I use my 15 inch and going to use my alien ware m17x as a desktop replacement.

OK I can appreciate money is no issue for some, but 4 laptops, whats the purpose, especially as you are a student?

13mbp
15mbp
mba
mx17a

surely desktop and laptop or mbp and mba at a push but 4???

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
You should get rid of the 13" MacBook and then the MacBook Air would have a spot.

Or get a desktop.

Hands Sandon

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2008
Unless you think that having a light and thin Air would benefit you, you'd obviously just be wasting money, given what you've already got. If it is possible that the Air can handle anything that you don't use your pc for, then you might want to replace either or both of the 13" or 15" MacBooks with it. Given that money isn't a barrier, why not get an Air and return it if you find it's not suitable for you? You can't beat having it in your hands at home to know whether you want it.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Get rid of the desktop and the 13" mbp. Keep the 15" for your desktop replacement. And get the Air to take to class. Or keep the desktop and get rid of the 15" and just take the 13". As other said there is no point in having 4 laptops.

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London
Sell two of your laptops and give the proceeds to charity.

Or stop spongeing off your rich parents.

What is wrong with you?!!

darkdream

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2009
Sell two of your laptops and give the proceeds to charity.

Or stop spongeing off your rich parents.

What is wrong with you?!!
Please do not make assumptions about me. I may have well-off parents, but who says I have never worked or studied hard to get where I am? The next thing you would be telling me is to sell my weekend car and donate that too.

Anyways back to the original topic...I bought a few in a short time to replace my outdated/broken desktops and laptops. I like having variety for various occasions and backups as I usually am pretty hard on my computers so yes laptops I own usually completely die (not just one issue but everything begins to fail) after 3-4 years sometimes sooner... I will always have at least one on running something.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Sounds as if you have already answered your question. Since money is no issue go out and by the MBA.

mackhydr4

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2009
Please do not make assumptions about me. I may have well-off parents, but who says I have never worked or studied hard to get where I am? The next thing you would be telling me is to sell my weekend car and donate that too.

Anyways back to the original topic...I bought a few in a short time to replace my outdated/broken desktops and laptops. I like having variety for various occasions and backups as I usually am pretty hard on my computers so yes laptops I own usually completely die (not just one issue but everything begins to fail) after 3-4 years sometimes sooner... I will always have at least one on running something.

I can sympathize - I like to refresh my laptops on a yearly basis to keep current with technology. I also have a dedicated gaming PC laptop (Clevo) for blowing steam off (I have a very stressful job), a Macbook Air to complement the company laptop (a linux appliance that can't run Windows that I lug to client site), couple more for testing networks and OSes. All purchased with my own hard earned cash.

Getting back to topic - The Macbook Air is like a Katana, or a surgeon's scalpel. The mistake many people make is to compare it to the Macbook Pro's broadsword. It can be a useful precision tool if you have an idea on how to exploit its capabilities.

Or a useless netbook if your highest aspiration in life is to play multiple HD You Tube videos (then post here to complain why does Apple expect people to pay premium for such a slow laptop).

In other words, carefully analyze your workload. Where are you going to use this laptop? Will you have access to wireless, and how often do you use the optical drive with your current laptops? Are ram and storage important? Why do you want this laptop and not another? Maybe even create a checklist to see how the MBA stacks up.

If you purchase, you do have two weeks to decide whether or not you want to keep the laptop, or exchange it for something more "powerful".

allmIne

macrumors 6502a
Sep 17, 2008
United Kingdom

He shouldn't have said what he said. However, you really lowered yourself with your 'sell my weekend car' comment, as the only reason you mentioned it was out of arrogance. You can't sell something and donate it also, by the way!

MacModMachine

macrumors 68020
Apr 3, 2009
Canada
He shouldn't have said what he said. However, you really lowered yourself with your 'sell my weekend car' comment, as the only reason you mentioned it was out of arrogance. You can't sell something and donate it also, by the way!

indeed,

i meet alot of people like that...who do not know what its like to "work hard to get where they are"

....try being the poor guy....who works 2 times as hard because his parents arent known for doing anything.

its hard building from nothing....

marmiteturkey

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2005
London

Okay - I apologise, unreservedly - but in the UK, 'college student' typically means 'not yet employed' and there is almost no way you would be earning enough to be able to afford more than one new Mac at that point.

Serious suggestion? If you've just bought all those laptops, why don't you wait a while and see if you have a need for a thinner, lighter 13in laptop. If you're truly hard on your machines, an Air is not going to cut it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.