Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bscnyk18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
I'm considering getting a new iPad Pro, but am debating whether I need it. for context, I have a 12 " MacBook (2017) that I use as my main device. I also have a surface pro 5. I would primarily be using this new iPad it for studying and note taking. I'm wondering whether the iPad would really add anything or if it's too redundant with my existing devices. I'm drawn to the iPad because of the single app ish focus it would enable which would help with studying.

Goompa

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2018
Hello.
I just bought an M1 12.9 and so far I like it a lot! Such an amazing gadget.
It’s just that I don’t see it as a computer… it’s different! it might even replace your macbook!

Pilot Jones

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2020
Since you're primarily going to use it for studying & note taking, why not consider the iPad Air?

It costs a fair bit less than the Pro and is just the right amount of powerful for your given use case. Go for the pro if you're totally comfortable spending a lot simply to have the best available version of the product or specifically want that 120Hz display.

The other situation where you should go for the Pro is if you are also an artist/creative and see yourself using the Apple Pencil a lot for sketching, drawing etc. with a need for the fastest & most accurate screen response time.

You could also go for a 2018 or 2020 non-M1 iPad Pro if you want to get some pro features without breaking the bank. The most recent generations are still absolutely miles ahead of other tablets in the market.

Last edited:

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Dunno if you need tons of storage, but iPad pro is the only path for lots of internal storage, and you will not get SD card expansion of any kind on apple devices so take that into account.
iPad Air should do most of the stuff you want just fine but larger canvas is 12.9” only, which is reserved for the pro lineup.
Go for M1 if you can. They are mostly overkill for majority of users amd can last you easily years unend.

Lerten

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2012
If it’s single app focus and note taking that you’re looking for, iPad Air seems to fit the bill for much less than the M1
Pro.

ParagJain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
I have simple thinking.. if you are professional doing lot of media editing or high end graphics/images or music work, pro is the model.

I just use the ipad for movies, document editing, browsing and simple tasks like photo editing .. iPad Air 4 is more than capable for that.

camera on iPad Air is also quite capable but, I really use the iPhone for all photography work.

mr_jomo

Cancelled
Dec 9, 2018
I'm considering getting a new iPad Pro, but am debating whether I need it. for context, I have a 12 " MacBook (2017) that I use as my main device. I also have a surface pro 5. I would primarily be using this new iPad it for studying and note taking. I'm wondering whether the iPad would really add anything or if it's too redundant with my existing devices. I'm drawn to the iPad because of the single app ish focus it would enable which would help with studying.
100% redundant IMHO: the Surface Pro 5 will do the studying and note taking just as well as an iPad Pro /Air. Drawboard PDF, Liquidtext and OneNote, to name but a few, on the Pro 5 will serve you well.

Reactions: VaruLV

mobi-logic

macrumors member
May 6, 2014
I have bought 12.9 for note taking and online tutorials( YouTube videos). Many would say it’s overkill but I liked the device and it fits my requirements so that is what matters the most.

bscnyk18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
thanks everyone! I'm going to see how it goes with using my surface pro for this purpose for a couple of days at work. I wasn't thinking of getting the air before/was looking at the pro, so thanks to everyone for putting the air in the conversation. I think it's perhaps more aligned with my use case.

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
As mentioned before, try your Surface Pro 5 route, if its not laggy and works fine and the battery is sufficient for your needs, why spend more money just to get an iPad if you already have tablet that might get the job done just as well and save you $$$?
Perhaps, if youre itching for an upgrade, one of the M1 Macbooks or upcoming M1X/M2 Macbooks at the end of this year/beginning of next might be of intereset to you. Or, if youre not in a rush, perhaps updated Surface Pro's with ARM CPU'us might be viable choice as well.

Cancelled
May 29, 2005
iPad Pro 12.9 with the type cover weighs more than your macbook, another thing to consider.
RIP 12” macbook, I would buy one right now with the M1 if they made it.

Reactions: ParagJain

nicetriangles

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2021
Seattle / Amsterdam
iPad Pro 12.9 with the type cover weighs more than your macbook, another thing to consider.
RIP 12” macbook, I would buy one right now with the M1 if they made it.
Same! It would be the perfect mini laptop I could take when traveling or working at a bar/coffee shop. Plenty capable of handling some light remote work but wayy smaller than my MBP 15.

bscnyk18

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 13, 2014
As mentioned before, try your Surface Pro 5 route, if its not laggy and works fine and the battery is sufficient for your needs, why spend more money just to get an iPad if you already have tablet that might get the job done just as well and save you $$$?
Perhaps, if youre itching for an upgrade, one of the M1 Macbooks or upcoming M1X/M2 Macbooks at the end of this year/beginning of next might be of intereset to you. Or, if youre not in a rush, perhaps updated Surface Pro's with ARM CPU'us might be viable choice as well.
I forgot to mention, I stupidly got the 16 “ macbook pro 8 months before the M1s came out. It’s too heavy and also the screen us too large for me to want to use most of the time and I may leave it anchored to my monitors. Not sure I can justify upgrading given that

Reactions: VaruLV

VaruLV

macrumors 6502a
Mar 25, 2019
I forgot to mention, I stupidly got the 16 “ macbook pro 8 months before the M1s came out. It’s too heavy and also the screen us too large for me to want to use most of the time and I may leave it anchored to my monitors. Not sure I can justify upgrading given that
See if theres a way to sell it and buy M1/M2/M1X Macbook for the money?

Jára Tyky

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2020
If you ask the question: shall I buy iPad Pro? Is it worth for me? Then probably it is not worth for you!

It is the same when you have a girlfriend and think if you love her. Then you do not, because when you really love her you know it and you do not need to ask a question.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.