Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
I recently got a used iPhone 7 off of Swappa for a good price. 128GB, in flawless condition. The intention was to replace my current iPod Touch and use it as that, but the more I use it, the more I realize how light it is and I want to have it as a backup phone, or to switch Back and forth with my 11 Pro, especially using Touch ID to pay nowadays. That being said, the phone has the microphone/speaker issue that came about and Apple was replacing them for awhile and yesterday I tried to see if they would and said nope, have to pay out of warranty pricing for it, which is a big old bummer.

My question is, is it worth it at this point to repair the microphone? How much does it typically cost at third party stores like the iFix stores?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Buy an iPhone 8. The 7 is a disaster for many people. There's a class action lawsuit over the "Loop Disease" issue caused by the audio IC in the 7. Mine has the same problem and apple refused to fix it or even acknowledge there was a problem.

fitcious

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2014
Buy an iPhone 8. The 7 is a disaster for many people. There's a class action lawsuit over the "Loop Disease" issue caused by the audio IC in the 7. Mine has the same problem and apple refused to fix it or even acknowledge there was a problem.

Is this the no service issue?

DiCaprioAngel

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2013
New York
It’s not necessarily the mic that went out, it’s the whole audio chip which pretty much controls all mics as well as the speaker. I work for a company that sells used cell phones and the 7s are by far the WORST phone Apple ever made as that is a very common issue - that and the WiFi going out. It’s best if you get an 8 and up. The 7s are not worth it nowadays.

Reactions: now i see it

heyyitssusan

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 9, 2014
It’s not necessarily the mic that went out, it’s the whole audio chip which pretty much controls all mics as well as the speaker. I work for a company that sells used cell phones and the 7s are by far the WORST phone Apple ever made as that is a very common issue - that and the WiFi going out. It’s best if you get an 8 and up. The 7s are not worth it nowadays.

Bleh. I guess my hopes of it being a "backup" phone are shattered. It makes a great iPod Touch and I got it for cheaper than a new iPT would be, but the icing on the cake would be able to make calls on it. I totally forgot about that issue too.

fitcious

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2014
Bleh. I guess my hopes of it being a "backup" phone are shattered. It makes a great iPod Touch and I got it for cheaper than a new iPT would be, but the icing on the cake would be able to make calls on it. I totally forgot about that issue too.

Yeah I sold my X recently with hopes to use the 7 until new one arrives.

The 7 is a new refurbished unit from Apple which I got 2 weeks ago. Hopefully the issues won’t pop up...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.