Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
I got my hands on one of the black “trash can” macs from around 2013 (MacPro 6.1). It is a base model.

I was wondering if it is even worth upgrading the processor, drive and/or memory in 2022 as MacOS Ventura just dropped support for this model.

I know it is powerful enough to last for another few years if I were only using it for web surfing, emails and word documents etc. But I would like to use it with the Adobe Creative Suite and video editing.

A big disappointment is that the video card can’t be upgraded, so it really isn’t going to help with editing in the long term. With Thunderbolt 1, it wouldn’t be a good choice to edit anything 4k+ really. But I think it can still be a great computer for graphic design.

Should I just focus on the next MacStudio or Mac Pro and save the money towards that instead of upgrading this computer?

As an aside, I also got my hands on a 2013 MacBook Pro. It’s a legacy system but it still works 😂. So with these 2 Macs, should I try salvaging them or focus on acquiring either a new laptop or desktop?

ironmanny1

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
I got my hands on one of the black “trash can” macs from around 2013 (MacPro 6.1). It is a base model.

I was wondering if it is even worth upgrading the processor, drive and/or memory in 2022 as MacOS Ventura just dropped support for this model.

I know it is powerful enough to last for another few years if I were only using it for web surfing, emails and word documents etc. But I would like to use it with the Adobe Creative Suite and video editing.

A big disappointment is that the video card can’t be upgraded, so it really isn’t going to help with editing in the long term. With Thunderbolt 1, it wouldn’t be a good choice to edit anything 4k+ really. But I think it can still be a great computer for graphic design.

Should I just focus on the next MacStudio or Mac Pro and save the money towards that instead of upgrading this computer?

As an aside, I also got my hands on a 2013 MacBook Pro. It’s a legacy system but it still works 😂. So with these 2 Macs, should I try salvaging them or focus on acquiring either a new laptop or desktop?
I just upgraded to a Mac studio Max base model, gave away one of my 2013 Mac Pro, I have another one as a spare. EGPU on the 6,1 wasn't reliable for me, kept crashing. Also, I converted my trusty 4,1 -> 5,1 as a windows racing sim computer. I don't do any video editing, I would definitely save up for your next computer. I am now running multiple 5k displays and a 4k display on the Mac studio, the 6,1 would have trouble running them and gets really hot. I really like the design appearance of the 6,1. Hope this answers your question.

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
I just upgraded to a Mac studio Max base model, gave away one of my 2013 Mac Pro, I have another one as a spare. EGPU on the 6,1 wasn't reliable for me, kept crashing. Also, I converted my trusty 4,1 -> 5,1 as a windows racing sim computer. I don't do any video editing, I would definitely save up for your next computer. I am now running multiple 5k displays and a 4k display on the Mac studio, the 6,1 would have trouble running them and gets really hot. I really like the design appearance of the 6,1. Hope this answers your question.
Thanks for your reply! I didn’t realize how behind the 6,1 is when compared to the Mac Studio. This definitely helps with making my mind up with saving up for a current Mac Studios/Pro.

Is there a reason why you chose the 5,1 instead of 6,1 for windows sim? I am just trying to see what I can put the 6,1 to use for.

macguru9999

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
I got a couple of these for almost nothing, but i sold them for $$$ and kept my 5,1s. My main complaint is all the TB2 ports ... now if only they were TB3s !

Reactions: SpotOnT

Mac3Duser

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2021
I work with adobe on a Mac Pro 6.1 with a wacom cintiq pro 4K and no problem. But this is a 12 cores/64gb ram/D700.
for the usual tasks it is more or less like a mac mini M1
for processing and calculation of many images, or renderings, it is safer thanks to xeons and ram ecc

Last edited:

lomahs

macrumors newbie
Jul 5, 2016
I now use my MacPro 6.1 as a music player with Audirvana and Amarra. Additionally, an EyeTV is connected. Photoshop and Indesign have never been a problem, neither was video editing in Full HD.

The compatible processors Xeon 2680 V2, 2690 V2 or 2697 V2 are no longer particularly expensive on Ebay, the memory prices keep within limits.

If you have some fun with a processor upgrade, you can do it yourself relatively easily.

I actually wouldn't want to miss my 6.1. It has served me well from 2013 until today (also at work). Until I bought the Mac Pro 2019, I was able to work quite well even with Cinema 4D without any problems. But Cinema 4D is only used as a hobby.

MacPro 32 GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, Xeon 2680 V2, EGPU Vega 64, later Radeon VII (both cards ran without problems).

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014

FWIW, I have a trash can Mac Pro running Mojave, and my creative software runs just fine on it. And I don’t foresee anything changing very soon. I’m fine running an older OS. I’m pretty safe, and if there are any super critical security threats, Apple has been known to issue patches even on very old OSes.
I update my creative software only as needed, usually every few years, and updates tend to stay compatible with older OSes. I wouldn’t be surprised if I get 4-5 more years out of this Mac, maybe more. But you might be different.

Reactions: richmlow

ironmanny1

macrumors member
Oct 28, 2018
Thanks for your reply! I didn’t realize how behind the 6,1 is when compared to the Mac Studio. This definitely helps with making my mind up with saving up for a current Mac Studios/Pro.

Is there a reason why you chose the 5,1 instead of 6,1 for windows sim? I am just trying to see what I can put the 6,1 to use for.
Main reason, I can upgrade my the GPU.

Sergioejbf

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2022
Spain
6.1 12Cores 64 ram and egpu 5700xt.

in the morning I work with him at home and in the afternoons office mac pro 5.1.
It works perfect for me.

Web design, Adobe, Parallels, Office, FCP, Logic....

I think it will still serve me for a few more years

The eternal question is:
Your machine covers your needs without creating a bottleneck in your work?

In my case I feel that yes ;)

The_Interloper

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2016
I upgraded my base model 6,1 with an Intel Xeon E5-2667 v2 CPU I got off eBay (around £45/$50 now), 32Gb RAM and an NVME adapter with 2Tb SSD. You end up with a deceptively powerful and compact machine that should last many years - although, obviously, it has its limitations (mainly due to those unupgradeable video cards). Editing 4K might be a stretch on this, but for everything else it's stellar.

You could probably do this for $200 or less (maybe just get a 1Tb SSD). That's still a loooong way from the cost of a Mac Studio which may be overkill for your needs (but great for 4K).

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
What do you intend to do with this system? I have a semi base 6,1 (hex core, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and D300) which is fine for what I do with it. However I myself wouldn't upgrade this system even though parts are, relatively, inexpensive (except for the GPUs). If you need something powerful then I would pass on upgrading it and buy something current. Obviously the AS Macs are much more capable than the 6,1 but if you need x64 compatibility then a later generation iMac Pro might be a better fit (or the 7,1 if you're OK with its price).

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command

Totally not worth it, best bet would be to send the "Trashcan" to me for proper disposal...! ;^p

• Haha
Reactions: thatguywill

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
I use and love mine since early 2014 (12c D300 32GB).
On macOS I use Photoshop and in a Windows VM I do CAD.
GPU:
This week I purchased an RX 6800 XT eGPU and now I am all set for many more years.
This upgrade after almost 9 years did cost me less than a base Mac mini M1 but has ~7x the GPU power (my Metal score is only 6x higher, probably because the MacPro6,1 is limited to Thunderbolt 2).
CPU:
Chose wisely: Instead of my 12-core CPU I just ordered an 8-core (E5-2667 v2) with higher TurboBoost as this will benefit my Photoshop workflow (which never uses more than 8 threads).
Of course the single core score is still miles behind M1/M2.

But from everything I’ve read, if I’d do video editing instead of VM/CAD stuff, even an M1 would have been the better investment instead of the eGPU.

EDIT: To those eGPU users, do you use Kryptonite or is there anything better? Thanks!

Last edited:

Sergioejbf

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2022
Spain
I use and love mine since early 2014 (12c D300 32GB).
On macOS I use Photoshop and in a Windows VM I do CAD.
GPU:
This week I purchased an RX 6800 XT eGPU and now I am all set for many more years.
This upgrade after almost 9 years did cost me less than a base Mac mini M1 but has ~7x the GPU power (my Metal score is only 6x higher, probably because the MacPro6,1 is limited to Thunderbolt 2).
CPU:
Chose wisely: Instead of my 12-core CPU I just ordered an 8-core (E5-2667 v2) with higher TurboBoost as this will benefit my Photoshop workflow (which never uses more than 8 threads).
Of course the single core score is still miles behind M1/M2.

But from everything I’ve read, if I’d do video editing instead of VM/CAD stuff, even an M1 would have been the better investment instead of the eGPU.

EDIT: To those eGPU users, do you use Kryptonite or is there anything better? Thanks!
kriptonite works fine.
Racer core chroma xt5700 and 3x monitor Samsung 4k
I have to have one of the monitors connected to the hdmi of 6.1 for it to start. I have also evaluated the change to 8/16.

Reactions: arw

SpaceJello

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 2, 2006
Thank you everyone for sharing your advice and experiences. I was intending to use the 6,1 as a graphic design/digital arts machine, and if possible video editing. But from the sounds of it, even with processor, HD and RAM upgrades, this Mac Pro will be great for everything except anything to do with video.

I will likely upgrade what I can and use it for everything but video editing considering how reasonable my the prices are.

It is unfortunate, there were never any video card upgrades made for this model.

Reactions: SomeSoftwareGuy

arw

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2010
Thank you everyone for sharing your advice and experiences. I was intending to use the 6,1 as a graphic design/digital arts machine, and if possible video editing. But from the sounds of it, even with processor, HD and RAM upgrades, this Mac Pro will be great for everything except anything to do with video.

I will likely upgrade what I can and use it for everything but video editing considering how reasonable my the prices are.

It is unfortunate, there were never any video card upgrades made for this model.
To the defense of the MP6,1 😅: it was advertised by Apple as a 4K video editing machine. And even the D300 can officially drive three 5K displays at 60Hz. And the plain Metal score of the D300 is comparable to M1.
So it‘s not that this machine is extremely underpowered per se, Apple Silicon and its integrated hardware accelerators just showed how much they can improve video editing and set a new reference that this old technology simply cannot compete with.
But maybe for starters it can be enough for you until even newer/cheaper AS Macs are available.

Reactions: SpaceJello

tsialex

Contributor
Jun 13, 2016

People still edit movies with late-2013 Mac Pro, just not render or encode with them anymore. From 2014 to almost 2020, the late-2013 Mac Pro was the best Mac Pro, anything that worked back then, still works today.

Now we have better and a lot more efficient options, video encoding/grading with a Mac Studio is a dream, but you can still do it with a late-2013 Mac Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.