Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacSeeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2014
I have a Mac LCII in very good condition. I like vintage Apple computers, and especially the IIci. Is it worth selling the LCII to get a IIci or will I lose a lot of money? The main reason I want a IIci is because I had a new one when it came out that I have since lost during many moves. I bought the LCII in 2005, but I forget for how much.
Thanks.

kc9hzn

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2020
I don’t know about relative values on the collector’s market, but I’ve been under the impression that the LC series was viewed in the day as low cost, but low cachet. The IIci is part of the Macintosh II series that was definitely well regarded. The LC might have some collector’s value due to specialty hardware, though, due to hardware that uses the PDS port.

Reactions: MacSeeker

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
It's been a little while. But as I recall collectors values. An LCII isn't worth much while a working IIci is worth a fair chunk of change. Besides being an upgrade in capabilities. It's a trade up in value. Assuming similar physical and functional condition. As long as they're fully functional. Case condition plays a huge role in value. Yellowing, cracks, uneven yellowing, missing feet, &c.

MacSeeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2014
Thanks for the replies. I guess it isn't worth it as I don't want to put that much extra to get one, I just got a fully loaded Apple //e

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Thanks for the replies. I guess it isn't worth it as I don't want to put that much extra to get one, I just got a fully loaded Apple //e

These are mainly collectors devices. Outside of the odd manufacturer or lab that actually needs these machines to run old expensive equipment. They're only worth it if you want it for your collection.

I really wanted a IIci but a IIcx is basically the same, just slower and a lot cheaper. So, I got some broken IIcx. Getting one fully functioning after recapping, lubing the floppy drive, retrobrite-ing and installing a new old stock hard drive.

MacSeeker

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 10, 2014
Thank you, I had forgotten about the IIcx, I'll check out the prices for one.

hardon

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
UK Kent
The IIci has a notorious PSU, I am currently re-capping one, it’s heavy going ?

I’d go Quadra any day

LC II re-Capped Power and Logic goes for about £100 quid

IIci re-capped logic and psu nearer £300 quid

prices are always lower in summer, as the nights draw in, prices rise

hardon

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2003
UK Kent
Like for like, no more risk than driving, test, test and test.

the LC PSU is so easy, it’s got its own tube site ?

start with that, and you’ll be addicted !!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.