Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Joshyg02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Currently on 11.3 on my iPad Pro 10.5 64gb, apart from being jailbreakable, is there anything on 11.4.1 that’s worth updating for? There’s a few glitches here and there, but apart from that I’m happy with it. If I don’t decide to jailbreak, I’ll more than likely update to 11.4.1 before the signing window closes as I prefer to wait out for a bit after an initial iOS release.

LoveToMacRumors

macrumors 68030
Feb 15, 2015
Canada
Currently on 11.3 on my iPad Pro 10.5 64gb, apart from being jailbreakable, is there anything on 11.4.1 that’s worth updating for? There’s a few glitches here and there, but apart from that I’m happy with it. If I don’t decide to jailbreak, I’ll more than likely update to 11.4.1 before the signing window closes as I prefer to wait out for a bit after an initial iOS release.
Update to ios 11.4.1

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
Always update to the latest version. You get security updates, bug fixes, and sometimes new features.

Joshyg02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Always update to the latest version. You get security updates, bug fixes, and sometimes new features.
Would you say that the advantage and freedom of jailbreaking is outweighed by this? Obviously security is a concern but I’ve never had any issues by not updating any other of my iOS devices. I can’t really see any obvious new features in 11.4 apart from iCloud iMessages.

chabig

macrumors G4
Sep 6, 2002
I would never jailbreak. As for not seeing new features, that's not surprising. The complexity of modern operating systems is so great that users don't see a lot of under the hood stuff. Always update. And "I've never had any issues..." isn't an argument for lax security. Do you leave your car and home unlocked because you've "never had any issues?"

Reactions: simonsi

Joshyg02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
I would never jailbreak. As for not seeing new features, that's not surprising. The complexity of modern operating systems is so great that users don't see a lot of under the hood stuff. Always update. And "I've never had any issues..." isn't an argument for lax security. Do you leave your car and home unlocked because you've "never had any issues?"
I didn’t mean it in that context, it’s just that with my legacy devices I’ve always kept them on an outdated version of iOS purely because of speed reasons. My A5 devices were pretty much unusable after iOS 8 and 9 and I’ve always noticed a speed and stability decrease after each major update, I know this probably isn’t so much of an issue nowadays. I think there is quite a few reasons to jailbreak these days, however nowhere near as many a few years ago. Hence why I’m asking the question.

Joshyg02

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
I would never pass up a jailbreak :D especially for a small update

But different strokes
I'm now happily jailbroken :), definitely worth it and there's lots of minor tweaks that I couldn't see myself living without now, especially since my S8 is my daily driver, there's a lot more customizability.

Reactions: thadoggfather
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.