Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
Im thinking about upgrading my ipad 5 to an 11 inch ipad pro. Is it worth it?

PegasusTenma

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2014
How old have you had that iPad for? Sorry I am very bad following when iPads have been releases.

in my case the iPad is my most used device, and I just upgraded from a 1st gen ipad pro to a M1 ipad pro after 8 years and it was totally worth it.

Reactions: missingar

bhall110

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
I’d say it is worth the upgrade. I’m going on 4 years with my iPad Pro 12.9 and my only issue is battery life is getting noticeably shorter. I highly recommend the Magic Keyboard with the iPad Pro.

Reactions: BanjoDudeAhoy

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
went from gen 6 iPad to M1 IPP and the difference is very noticeable even for some basic stuff. highly recommended unless you are on tight budget

and regarding the aforementioned keyboard: i personally wouldn't get one, unless the iPad is your primary computer, otherwise i'd say you're better off with a laptop/Macbook

bhall110

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
went from gen 6 iPad to M1 IPP and the difference is very noticeable even for some basic stuff. highly recommended unless you are on tight budget

and regarding the aforementioned keyboard: i personally wouldn't get one, unless the iPad is your primary computer, otherwise i'd say you're better off with a laptop/Macbook
Agreed. Should have mentioned that. I use mine as a primary internet device. Wasn’t my intention for it to take the place of my MBP for most tasks but it just happened. Might be worth trying. Amazon has 30 day returns

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
How old have you had that iPad for? Sorry I am very bad following when iPads have been releases.

in my case the iPad is my most used device, and I just upgraded from a 1st gen ipad pro to a M1 ipad pro after 8 years and it was totally worth it.
About 6-7 years old (you should download mac tracker. It has detailed information in ALL apple devices.)

Richard8655

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2009
Chicago suburbs
It's often not necessary and can be a waste of money to upgrade to the pro or even air models, especially if the regular (base) iPad satisfies your needs. I recently went from the iPad 5 (mostly because the processor was getting slow) to the 9th and then also 10th generation iPads. They do everything I need with excellent displays.

unrigestered

Suspended
Jun 17, 2022
yes, those are great options and actually the best deals, even though the 10th gen price has been raised quite significantly.

personally though, i don't see the IPP as a bad investment either, especially for people who keep their systems until their official end of life support and don't buy too much similar tech inbetween

KingofGotham1

macrumors regular
Sep 12, 2012

I was about to correct you and say something like "there is no way the original iPad Pro came out 8 years ago..."

and then I checked (on the MacTracker app, which i also highly recommend lol) and realzied how old I am because the first iPad Pro did come out in 2015!

• Haha
Reactions: Populus

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
I was about to correct you and say something like "there is no way the original iPad Pro came out 8 years ago..."

and then I checked (on the MacTracker app, which i also highly recommend lol) and realzied how old I am because the first iPad Pro did come out in 2015!
It actually is an ipad 5 just 5. It is really a 9.7 inch ipad pro without pro motion laminated screen and less performace and ram

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
Im thinking about upgrading my ipad 5 to an 11 inch ipad pro. Is it worth it?
I don't think it is worth the upgrade. If you have been using the iPad 5 this long and have been content with what it can do, then unless you want an 11" iPad, spending so much on an iPad to get the 11" Pro would not be wise, IMO.

I suggest considering the 10th gen or Air if you are looking for an upgrade. I'd recommend my favorite (9th gen) but if you've gone this long with the iPad 5, then you can treat yourself a little. ;)

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
I don't think it is worth the upgrade. If you have been using the iPad 5 this long and have been content with what it can do, then unless you want an 11" iPad, spending so much on an iPad to get the 11" Pro would not be wise, IMO.

I suggest considering the 10th gen or Air if you are looking for an upgrade. I'd recommend my favorite (9th gen) but if you've gone this long with the iPad 5, then you can treat yourself a little. ;)
I actually just got it because my sister gave it to me. She doesn’t need it anymore.

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
Thank you all for the help. I will either buy an ipad pro or a macbook air

Last edited:

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013

Depends on the storage required.

An Apple certified refurb M1 iPad Pro 11” 128GB might be a better choice than a 10th gen or Air 5 256GB if 128GB is one’s sweet spot.

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023
Depends on the storage required.

An Apple certified refurb M1 iPad Pro 11” 128GB might be a better choice than a 10th gen or Air 5 256GB if 128GB is one’s sweet spot.
Literally anything above 32gb is fine. I really really hate having 32gb

Bananasaurus

Suspended
Aug 16, 2023
If it's no longer doing what you need it to do, then yes. You probably have another year or two of iOS updates, though.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
Literally anything above 32gb is fine. I really really hate having 32gb

For a streaming and web only iPad, 32GB actually wasn’t too bad up to around iPadOS 12 (around 12GB system+other). It really sucks on higher firmware (~17GB+ system+other). On iPadOS 16 and 17, I can’t do OTA update unless I offload pretty much all apps.

Mind, I need 512GB minimum on my primary iPad (both my iPad Pros are 1TB).

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
If it's no longer doing what you need it to do, then yes. You probably have another year or two of iOS updates, though.

Security updates only. The iPad 5th gen has A9 and won’t be getting iPadOS 17.

Even now, it’s already missing a bunch of features from iPadOS 16 that require neural engine.

s1oplus

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 24, 2023

Even now, it’s already missing a bunch of features from iPadOS 16 that require neural engine.
Yes. This is the worst part of having a old device. The sad thing is i was really really looking foward to IpadOS 17

Bananasaurus

Suspended
Aug 16, 2023

Ah ... you are correct. I would definitely upgrade then.

1693076379114.png

heretiq

Contributor
Jan 31, 2014
Denver, CO

Agree 100% with the keyboard suggestion: The Magic Keyboard is an amazing stand, but it dramatically increases weight and bulk and changes the iPad from an exceptional tablet to a compromised laptop imho. In contrast a MacBook Air is a much better choice if you need to rely on a physical keyboard for your primary use case.

Cancelled
Mar 1, 2021
I’m sorry but it’s very obvious; the A9 is from 2015…
The experience overall is bombastically better.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.