Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

domingoaranda

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2020
Hi, any thoughts on this. I was actually wondering if it would be worth the upgrade considering the price of the new iPhones. I've had the 256 gb iPhone X for three years now and the battery is starting to wear off, but other than that the phone is working perfectly and it's a relatively cheap repair. However, I really like the screen size of the new Pro Max and the improvement in the cameras. What do you people think?
Thanks a lot.

hbksabhi

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2013
i recommend hanging on to it for another 10 months as new ones with pro motion display will be substantial upgrade. Everything is locked down anyway. No rush

buckethead

macrumors member
Oct 20, 2008
I went from X to 12 Pro. Big upgrade. If your ok with the size the Pro Max is a great upgrade. Though I like that the 12 Pro is about the same size as my old X which i find perfect.

Eldar Gezalov

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2016
Planet Earth
If you take a lot of pictures and videos with your iPhone, upgrade. Otherwise, try to stick to your X for 1 more year. I think next year we can see the iPhone 13 Pro with ProMotion display and better cameras.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
If your X is taking care of business and doing everything you want it to do - then the prudent thing would be to simply get a battery replacement and keep it going for another 2 - 3 years. You can then invest the money into whatever else is going on with your station in life.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Aug 20, 2013
At the end of the day, it’s still just an iPhone that runs the same operating system and does all the same “iPhone stuff”.

I say keep rocking that X until it starts to feel sluggish or a new phone has a killer feature that really sparks your imagination.

Reactions: mtneer

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
Hi, any thoughts on this. I was actually wondering if it would be worth the upgrade considering the price of the new iPhones. I've had the 256 gb iPhone X for three years now and the battery is starting to wear off, but other than that the phone is working perfectly and it's a relatively cheap repair. However, I really like the screen size of the new Pro Max and the improvement in the cameras. What do you people think?
Thanks a lot.

Worth the upgrade for sure.

zipelius

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2007
If you take a lot of pictures and videos with your iPhone, upgrade. Otherwise, try to stick to your X for 1 more year. I think next year we can see the iPhone 13 Pro with ProMotion display and better cameras.

Or wait 5 years and you will get even better iPhone what wipe all previous models ?

Reactions: xxBlack

Septembersrain

Cancelled
Dec 14, 2013
I'd ask if you find it financially feasible. For me, I had a 7 Plus from December 2016 until I got the 11 Pro Max this January (2020). So 4 years. I finally moved off the 7 Plus because I got a great deal. Do you like what the 12 line offers? Is there something it's missing? Could you be happy if you just got a battery replacement?

This year I'm not getting anything. 5G has kinks. The battery life is questionable. The only positive is the Qualcomm modem to me.

StaceyMJ86

macrumors demi-goddess
Sep 22, 2015
Washington, DC
I going from from a XS Max to the 12 Pro Max.

Main reason is that the 12 has the Qualcomm modem vs the Intel modem in the XS

So deffo get the 12!!

That is my number 1 reason why I’m upgrading. My XS Max is garbage with its reception, even though I’m on Verizon which has excellent coverage in my area and other areas I frequent.

Deeps

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Nottingham, UK
That is my number 1 reason why I’m upgrading. My XS Max is garbage with its reception, even though I’m on Verizon which has excellent coverage in my area and other areas I frequent.
Yep same here. I'm in the UK and get constant drop outs of data, so have to toggle on and off mobile data, which isn;t ideal!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.