Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrRobF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Pittsburgh Pa
I have an old mac mini. I am not positive of the date of purchase but I'm pretty sure its 2012. I want to try and set it upo almost entirely for streaming in a bedroom. Here are my questions for the experts.
I know I can add an SSD drive and i believe more memory... if I put the money in to do that, will it play streams like netflix, hulu, prime video etc.
I am willing to put a few bucks to get it running... my biggest worry is I will do it and it still will not run the streaming services.
Thank you all for whatever help you can give

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
See this thread

But you need to confirm it is a 2012 Mini, the 2011 is not nearly as nice a machine. And there are a range of different 2012 Mini's, the 2.3ghz and 2.6ghz i7 quad-core models are still very nice machines although the HD4000 graphics are a weakness, and Catalina is the last version of MacOS they support. The base model dual-core 2.5ghz i5 Mini is much slower than the quads, but still usable.

RAM upgrades are really easy on the 2012 Mini, just pull off the bottom cover. Adding an internal SSD is more complicated. Personally, I would just use an external USB 3.0 SSD on a 2012 Mini. In fact, that's how I ran my 2012 quad Mini for several years and it worked well with Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro and other demanding software.

If you happen to have a 2014 Mini however, memory is not upgradeable in those and the base 1.4ghz/4gb model is pretty terrible.

Before spending any money, why not just try it and see what happens? Not sure that you really need much memory or a SSD for streaming anyway.

DrRobF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Pittsburgh Pa
See this thread

But you need to confirm it is a 2012 Mini, the 2011 is not nearly as nice a machine. And there are a range of different 2012 Mini's, the 2.3ghz and 2.6ghz i7 quad-core models are still very nice machines although the HD4000 graphics are a weakness, and Catalina is the last version of MacOS they support. The base model dual-core 2.5ghz i5 Mini is much slower than the quads, but still usable.

RAM upgrades are really easy on the 2012 Mini, just pull off the bottom cover. Adding an internal SSD is more complicated. Personally, I would just use an external USB 3.0 SSD on a 2012 Mini. In fact, that's how I ran my 2012 quad Mini for several years and it worked well with Final Cut Pro, Logic Pro and other demanding software.

If you happen to have a 2014 Mini however, memory is not upgradeable in those and the base 1.4ghz/4gb model is pretty terrible.

Before spending any money, why not just try it and see what happens? Not sure that you really need much memory or a SSD for streaming anyway.
Thank you so much for the information. I did try to stream movies and I kept receive an error. I cant remember the exact wording but It basically said you cant stream here.. haha.

Reactions: Boyd01

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
What kind of monitor are you using? If you are using an old screen with a DVI adapter (for example) then that won't work. You need a newer monitor that supports HDCP - the copy protection that prevents people from recording copyrighted material. Another issue might be that you need to update to a newer version of MacOS.

DrRobF

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 23, 2020
Pittsburgh Pa
What kind of monitor are you using? If you are using an old screen with a DVI adapter (for example) then that won't work. You need a newer monitor that supports HDCP - the copy protection that prevents people from recording copyrighted material. Another issue might be that you need to update to a newer version of MacOS.
Last time I tried I was using a projector with hdmi? would that be the issue? and using my new mac laptop I can stream to the projector.

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
That would probably be OK, I think just about anything with an HDMI interface should work. It would help if you told us the specific error you are getting. Also might help to know exactly which Mini you have, what version of MacOS you are running and what browser you're using.

See this thread, I was getting a bogus HDCP error with Prime Video on Safari

shaun.au

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2009
Sydney, Aus
I'm in the same boat - I've got a 2009 Mini as my "HTPC" that's had a RAM & SSD upgrade, but it's getting pretty slow & struggles if I try to do too much at once (eg Plex transcoding & watch a stream).

I'm going to get an M1 Mini as soon as there's a sale (probably Friday!)... I figured a 10 year run for the old one was enough. I'd considered just getting an older mini 2nd hand, but might as well get an M1 :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.