Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aquajet

macrumors 68020
Feb 12, 2005
VA
zimv20 said:
maybe i'm talking out of my ass here, but i'd always thought that vinyl offers a sonic advantage because it hasn't been reduced to 1's and 0's. rather, an actual continual curve is represented in the vinyl, whereas a CD's curve is reconstructed from the information on the CD.

I've always thought this as well. A violin, for example, creates sound by vibrations in a string, which vibrates wooden plates, which ultimately causes longitudinal waves which our ears pick up and our brains perceive as sound. This process more closely resembles the process employed by a turntable over that of a collection of ones and zeros. Of course, I could be wrong as I'm no expert. All I know for certain, in my mind, is that high-quality vinyl sounds sweeter than any digital format.

howesey

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2005
stridey said:
The equipent I tried on them is designed to sound crap? Look, I have no problem with you saying I'm full of s**t about AAC sounding just like AIFF, but those speakers are some of the best damned studio monitors money can buy. Whatever. To each their own. :p
That's the purpose of monitors. They are not designed to sound the best money can buy, they sre designed to represent how the avergae joe would hear it on their cheap hi-fi, through a TV or portable radios for example.

If you wanted to match real life go hi-fi route.

You'll also find that monitor use technology that was used 10 - 15 years ago by the manufacturers, hi-fi is always generations ahead - Just look at the companies that also make hi-fi speakers as well. Look at Dynaudio, or dare I say it, Whafedale which are based on the very old diamond series.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.