Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cooa99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
Hi all,

I have updated my Ipad to 9.0.2.

... So at the moment, Apple is still signing 9.0.2 ....since i mistakenly upgraded to 9.1 then down graded back to 9.0.2

My plan is to wait a bit longer for the existing jailbreak of 9.0.2 to be more stable.

Will it be possible to jailbreak on 9.0.2 even after Apple stops signing it?

cheers

Reactions: Applejuiced

kotty

macrumors member
Jul 9, 2010
Hi all,

I have updated my Ipad to 9.0.2.

... So at the moment, Apple is still signing 9.0.2 ....since i mistakenly upgraded to 9.1 then down graded back to 9.0.2

My plan is to wait a bit longer for the existing jailbreak of 9.0.2 to be more stable.

Will it be possible to jailbreak on 9.0.2 even after Apple stops signing it?

cheers

I think that if you are already on 9.0.2 you won't have any problems....

cooa99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I think that if you are already on 9.0.2 you won't have any problems....

Thanks, I was thinking of staying put without the jailbreak for a couple of weeks till the jailbreak took gets more revision ...

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
As long as you are on a version of iOS that is jailbreakable when Apple stops signing it you can jailbreak.

The problem comes in when you update to a version that is NOT jailbreakable and miss the chance to downgrade to a version that is while Apple is still signing that version.

As an example. Say, I went and bought an iPhone 6 today and it came with iOS 8.3. I could jailbreak it, even though Apple is not signing 8.3 anymore.

felt.

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2008
Canada
Unless you install something that prevents it from booting causing you to perform a restore. Like I just did.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Unless you install something that prevents it from booting causing you to perform a restore. Like I just did.
Did you try Safe Mode?

I have never once had getting to Safe Mode fail on me and I've been through 5+ jailbreaks. This seems to be a pandemic lately, that people are not using Safe Mode but restoring instead. It's really fairly simple. Power off. Hold down Volume Up (and keep holding it down) and power on your phone. When it gets to the lockscreen, release the Volume Up button, unlock, open Cydia, uninstall the offending tweak, respring, then reboot.

Doing the above saves a whole lot of frustration and preserves your jailbreak - yet lately it does not seem to be communicated.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Good tip! will be doing that next time, thanks. Never got stuck in boot before so wasn't aware of safe mode.
Yeah, it's wierd. I guess a lot of new people have jailbroken this time around. I see a lot of uninformed questions here and on reddit. Please don't take that the wrong way, I simply mean that a lot of new people don't seem to know about some of the things involved in jailbreaking.

iCleaner Pro is also very useful. It has a feature where you can disable each tweak individually, but still allow the tweak to remain installed. That has saved my bacon more than once.

I had a tweak that got updated once and nothing I tried allowed me to boot. So, I went into Safe Mode and disabled all my tweaks using iCleaner Pro. Then I started troubleshooting by adding half back and rebooting. Eventually I narrowed it down to the one problem tweak. An insignificant BS dependency tweak that had gone rogue. If not for Safe Mode and iCleaner Pro I would have been forced to restore despite having been stable for months.

Last edited:

mdlooker

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2011
US
Just upgraded from 8.4

The only thing is I use my MBP so I have to see if my windows computer will crank up to download the jailbreak

Chukwe

macrumors regular
Jul 2, 2010
What if Apple stop signing iOS 9.0.2 and you try to jailbreak it, but it fails due to a silly simple mistake. Then you wave goodbye to jailbreak in the meantime.

So, do it now

cooa99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
took the plunge over the weekend.

JB was successful.

One thing I don't understand was why pangu was asking for access to photos during the JB

I hope that's not some kind of hidden backdoor access ......

jermy4

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
took the plunge over the weekend.

JB was successful.

One thing I don't understand was why pangu was asking for access to photos during the JB

I hope that's not some kind of hidden backdoor access ......
That's how the jailbreak is injected. It uses some sort of vulnerability in the photos access to inject the jailbreak code into the system.

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
That's how the jailbreak is injected. It uses some sort of vulnerability in the photos access to inject the jailbreak code into the system.

That is correct. Like most pangu exploits, it takes advantage of iTunes backup restoration. In this specific case, it also uses corrupt photo files to inject code.

Reactions: eyoungren

cooa99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
I have to say it does amaze me how people are able to find exploits without having the source code to proof read

iphonedude2008

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2009
Irvine, CA
I have to say it does amaze me how people are able to find exploits without having the source code to proof read

It is amazing. The complicated sequence of events is so random it must take them days of just trial and error to perfect. I'm thankful they have the time and money to do it though.

iMrNiceGuy0023

macrumors 68000
Jun 5, 2009
I updated my iPhone 6 to 9.0.2 and jailbroke, iOS 9 is very smooth and stable. I recommend everyone update asap

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.