Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
If you're this seriously concerned talk to your lawyer. Otherwise grow a pair and jailbreak away. If you're so horrified of the posible consequences why would you trust the opinion of random forum posters on something that seems so scary/important to you? I'm not trying to be mean but really if you're this worried get some serious advice from a source you can depend on.

Out of curiosity are you this concerned about possibly doing something illegal in other areas of your life?

Yes I am, I never do anything illegal. Plus, I'm not that scared I just don't want to do anything that's not right, like pirating music or apps.

pnyc

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2007
Brooklyn, NY
Okay, right and illegal are not necessarily the same thing, but anyway that's not really the topic here.

I don't know why you mention pirating, jailbreaking has nothing to do with pirating apps or music, if that's your concern you are hundred percent in the clear, having your iPod in a jailbroken state will not make it magically download pirated apps and music by itself while you sleep.

Anyway, since you seem to be generally confused about this whole subject I did some research for you ... and:

Canada
In November 2012, Canada amended its Copyright Act with new provisions prohibiting tampering with digital locks, with exceptions including software interoperability.[29] Jailbreaking a device to run alternative software is a form of circumventing digital locks for the purpose of software interoperability.
There had been several efforts from 2008-2011 to amend the Copyright Act (Bill C-60, Bill C-61, and Bill C-32) to prohibit tampering with digital locks, along with initial proposals for C-11 that were more restrictive,[30] but those bills were set aside. In 2011, Michael Geist, a Canadian copyright scholar, cited iPhone jailbreaking as a non-copyright-related activity that overly-broad Copyright Act amendments could prohibit.[31]

Source: Wikipedia.org iOS jailbreaking

So it looks like you should be good to go.

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
Okay, right and illegal are not necessarily the same thing, but anyway that's not really the topic here.

I don't know why you mention pirating, jailbreaking has nothing to do with pirating apps or music, if that's your concern you are hundred percent in the clear, having your iPod in a jailbroken state will not make it magically download pirated apps and music by itself while you sleep.

Anyway, since you seem to be generally confused about this whole subject I did some research for you ... and:

Canada
In November 2012, Canada amended its Copyright Act with new provisions prohibiting tampering with digital locks, with exceptions including software interoperability.[29] Jailbreaking a device to run alternative software is a form of circumventing digital locks for the purpose of software interoperability.
There had been several efforts from 2008-2011 to amend the Copyright Act (Bill C-60, Bill C-61, and Bill C-32) to prohibit tampering with digital locks, along with initial proposals for C-11 that were more restrictive,[30] but those bills were set aside. In 2011, Michael Geist, a Canadian copyright scholar, cited iPhone jailbreaking as a non-copyright-related activity that overly-broad Copyright Act amendments could prohibit.[31]

Source: Wikipedia.org iOS jailbreaking

So it looks like you should be good to go.

Yes, don't worry I know that. I was just saying If jailbreaking is illegal then I don't want to do it just like I don't pirate things. Thanks for the response, I jailbroke my iPod a few months ago now and I am happy I did it. (I still use the iTunes store to buy apps and music however) I will be losing my jailbreak to get iOS 7 because I really like it. I hope the jailbreak community creates a jailbreak for iOS 7 ASAP. :)

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
No, I've even asked an Apple representative.

SAxe1hx.png

Last edited:

Sparky9292

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2004
No one has ever been thrown in jail for just jailbreaking their phone.

However, AT&T will penalize your for using Cydia tethering apps, and using AppSync to install cracked apps is illegal in most countries.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.