Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is Landscape(horizontal) FaceID a hardware or software issue?

• Total voters

SegPip

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Any iPhone X owner knows how frustrating it is when their phone is landscape orientation and you must rotate your phone to unlock with your face!
I was wondering if this is a definite hardware issue
(meaning it would be introduced as a feature of a new generation of iPhone)
or COULD this be a software update fix?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Any iPhone X owner knows how frustrating it is when their phone is landscape orientation and you must rotate your phone to unlock with your face!
No, I don’t find it frustrating. I never lift to use in that orientation. That orientation is like for youtube or something.

I have maybe on very rare occasion been using camera, locked my phone, and then been like, oh wait! But a quick wrist rotation works just fine.

Reactions: Sirious and SegPip

SegPip

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 1, 2018
Chattanooga, Tennessee
I usually encounter this when I'm watching Netflix but pause it with my AirPods, so the screen goes to sleep after a minute and then in order to unlock my phone, I can input my password sideways, I could crook my head very awkwardly (usually doesn't work), or I have to rotate my phone to portrait orientation and try again.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors G4
Feb 14, 2008
US
I know very little about the hardware involved in FaceID but I find it hard to imagine it would be a hardware limitation. The IR matrix projected by the camera rests on the same contours whether it's in portrait or landscape.

iOS 12 allows adding a second face, doesn't it? Maybe adding a face with the phone in landscape would remedy the issue?

jonobin

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2014
The only way I can think this is an hardware issue is if the camera is mounted at a certain degree that doesn't 'punch' you in the face if used in landscape mode. Otherwise it's just software, and with an updated machine learning algorithm it can be implemented easily

Reactions: SegPip

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
Doesn't bother me at all

You can do almost anything with software taking a "picture" and rotating it.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
There's strong evidence it's a hardware limitation.

The dot projector on iPhone X shines a beam at a downward angle. This is to make unlocking easier when iPhone X is on a tabletop.

If Apple tries horizontal unlocking with Face ID 1.0 hardware, users probably wouldn't be able to unlock reliably as the dots wouldn't hit the face, especially when iPhone is on a table.

MhzDoesMatter

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2002
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
I could see it being a slight mix of both. The 3D map was made in one orientation and in the other orientation, the converted mathematical data doesn't match the saved key.

The preceding answer was created with the "Tech Review Jargon Generator" app by The Verge, now with iMessage extensions!

ghostface147

macrumors 601
May 28, 2008

I think it’s hardware. If it was software, it’d be in testing. They’re not just going to release it and say it works perfectly. I don’t know of any software feature that wasn’t in beta and was released for older generation phones on the same day as the new phones. Can y’all?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
One feature I was hoping for when TouchID was announced would be portrait or landscape viewing based on *face orientation* instead of which way the phone is held with respect to gravity.

This way you could use your phone in bed and it would know you're using it in portrait even though it's turned horizontal.

Apple didn't bother to implement such a neat (and obvious) feature, though.

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
One feature I was hoping for when TouchID was announced would be portrait or landscape viewing based on *face orientation* instead of which way the phone is held with respect to gravity.

This way you could use your phone in bed and it would know you're using it in portrait even though it's turned horizontal.

Apple didn't bother to implement such a neat (and obvious) feature, though.

That would be nice. A toggle called “auto lock” with a face glyph when you force touch the lock orientation button in control center.

bether

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2016
Garageband in iPhone XR is working at landscape and Face ID is working landscape too :)
Look on my screen shot. The wah effect works when I open and close mouth.

Attachments

• GB_faceID.jpg
    GB_faceID.jpg
    230.2 KB · Views: 571

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Garageband in iPhone XR is working at landscape and Face ID is working landscape too :)
Look on my screen shot. The wah effect works when I open and close mouth.
Hard to say if what’s used for that is all that’s used and needed for actual Face ID (and likely that’s a big part of it all).

woodenbrain

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2009
Or just bring back Touch ID. I held out with iPhone 6 until just this month for that reason, suspect Face ID would be terrible. Not as bad as I feared, but – bad. This is one problem. I want to use a stand that works only in landscape position (otherwise cord gets in way) while at desk to charge. Because: if it is flat on a desk, it won't work if you just need to unlock it for a sync, etc. Or if you're sitting in bed resting on a hand, or have a sleep apnea mask, etc. etc.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.