Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sethable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
Seriously I cannot figure out a way to make it so that people on my network can simply type in an address and get an internal page.

I cannot figure out a way to tell the dns server to resolve this as an example

test = 192.168.68.105

I can do this in a windows 2003 dns server but cannot figure it out on a mac.
Really other then the fact that I can see that it is on and that it is learning what my local network surfs I can't see it working at all.

any help would be welcomed thanks.
I wish there were a how to guide for everything on this blasted os. I can't figure out how to do anything with its active directory and such.

Sethable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
that opendns is pretty slick. I am trying it right now seems to be working great.

Sethable

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 6, 2008
I have been using the opendns for a bit now. I suppose since the original mention of it to me on this thread.
Seems to be working great. I get the option of having up to date stats for free as well.
The company makes money off of ads. But you only see those when you end up on a search page because the address you put in was invalid.
The ads look no worse then a yahoo search so its fine with me.
The service is fast. Just as fast as having dns turned on, on my xserve.

I will be sticking with this for a while seeing as it has security benefits as well.

Thanks all.

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
Great to hear you haven't had any problems with it. I actually forgot about the small ads, i generally ignore them or just don't notice them when i mis-spell a web address. But like you said, they really don't bother me either.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.