Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Garydou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
This might sound weird, but hearing it is safe to always use User Account, while I've been using Administrator account, reminded me how I have posted screenshots before in forums regarding questions about my Mac and few of them had my Admin Username on it due to Mac asking password - nothing else, just Administrator Username.

Could that be security risk in itself?
No one who knows where I live, but like... someone seeing the Admin username, tracking ip address, managing to access my Mac through internet? Impossible?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
No. The security comes from the password and the security mechanisms themselves. The name is not enough. You should rather avoid that someone is even able to access your device directly or remotely. If someone already has access to your device, then finding out the username is easy.

Reactions: Garydou

Garydou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
No. The security comes from the password and the security mechanisms themselves. The name is not enough. You should rather avoid that someone is even able to access your device directly or remotely. If someone already has access to your device, then finding out the username is easy.

I won't let anyone sit behind my little Mac! :) By remotely, You mean allowing sharing services? Those are disabled. Firewall is also on.

If someone as access and gets username, that would be due to the log in screen? How easy is it to break into Mac like this?

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
No, if the password is decent, then not. Either the security works and the password is required, or the security is not decent enough for it to matter anyway. The loss of entropy of the knowing the username is hardly worth it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garydou

Garydou

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2016
No, if the password is decent, then not. Either the security works and the password is required, or the security is not decent enough for it to matter anyway. The loss of entropy of the knowing the username is hardly worth it.

Well, I always prefer passwords with random numbers and letters, at least 15.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.