Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

What do you prefer for future iPhones?

• I'd prefer a phone with Lightning or USB-C functionality

Votes: 37 97.4%
  • I'd prefer a portless iPhone with no wired option

Votes: 1 2.6%

• Total voters

zakarhino

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 13, 2014
I felt a strange feeling when reading more details about Apple's Lossless music service the other week. I thought it was strange that Apple were promoting a feature that they specifically tell you is only useful when plugging a DAC into your device (Hi-Fi Lossless tells you this on every device after enabling). I've started to get the feeling there's a possibility we can do away with the wholly unnecessary idea of a portless iPhone. It's been rumored on and off again for a long while but never comes to fruition. Apple may introduce a second generation of AirPods Pro/Max along with an iPhone capable of wireless lossless playback but that's well over a year away. By that point would they remove the lightning port after having spent the past year telling people they should get a DAC to enjoy the best sound quality?

It seems like moving from an integrated headphone jack to a dongle headphone jack is one thing but removing the ability to plug ANYTHING into the iPhone all together is going too far. Perhaps Apple know this and are planning to keep the lightning port around indefinitely (at least until they stop making iPhones post 2030) to always provide backwards compatibility with wired accessories. Maybe this is why they were so comfortable giving wired DACs such notice in their lossless system? Maybe maybe maybe....

... then again it's Apple. They probably don't give a flying f*** about DACs and will introduce the portless iPhone with wireless lossless capabilities all the while telling audiophiles that using DACs are "outdated and niche" because Apple's wireless solution is better (it won't be) thereby making wired DAC lossless a mac only feature.

Curve ball: they make a MagSafe compatible wireless USB accessory specifically designed for people to use DACs with. I doubt they'd do this but who knows.

Saladin12

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2021
I’d much prefer some kind of port for a back way of charging my phone when out and about or in a random place. I mainly use wireless charging now but I welcome a fast charge during the day!

Just curious as to why you think Apple will stop making iPhones post 2030?

Reactions: guinnessduck

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
People make up any story they want (no port iPhone) then someone else parrots it, then another then another etc etc.
Nuclear fusion will finally be deployed in 2023. You heard it right here...

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
CarPlay among other items. I have a Subaru and they only have wired connections for CarPlay and charging. I know there are devices to create wireless but from what I've read so far they aren't very good/reliable for Subaru's. I'm not buying a new car to run a phone.
Not only car but airplanes, hotels etc. now have places where you can plug in a phone.
If this happens I would not be buying another iPhone for years, at least

Amphib13

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2021
I could see a reason that Apple might want to drop the ports in this case, is so users have to buy another Apple device to utilize the lossless service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.