Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dreamangelz53

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 2, 2006
i downloaded limewire onto my powerbook and one day when i took it into the geniusbar at one of the apple stores, the guy told me that limewire messes up the system so it's really bad for my powerbook and i should stop using it immediately...so i guess my question is...is that true? haha cause limewire is the only firesharing program i can find for macs x-X so i just want to know if there are better programs out there? or if limewire is reliable (safe)? =) thanks!

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
I wouldn't touch any file-sharing program with a 10 foot pole. They destroy any and all computers, and are generally used for very illegal things.

jive

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2006
Scotland
I have Limewire Pro (obtained through regular Limewire - go figure) and I use it for the odd song but that's all. I dout I've had it running more than 10 minutes since I installed it...

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
dreamangelz53 said:
so i guess my question is...is that true? haha cause limewire is the only firesharing program i can find for macs x-X so i just want to know if there are better programs out there? or if limewire is reliable (safe)? =) thanks!

It's not going to destroy your Powerbook. There are other filesharing alternatives for OS X.

I don't recommend leaving it running all the time as having extra open ports is an unnecessary security risk as others have stated.

quigleybc

macrumors 68030
Seasought said:
It's not going to destroy your Powerbook. There are other filesharing alternatives for OS X.

I don't recommend leaving it running all the time as having extra open ports is an unnecessary security risk as others have stated.

Agreed, P2P is lame, and I havn't even opened Limewire in ages, but it's certainly not going to screw stuff up...

:rolleyes:

scottlinux

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2005
P2P is not lame. For the record I do not download music. Though being a musician, I do not agree with the RIAA. They make all the money from CDs and the musicians get fractions of a penny per CD. Greedy CEOs screwing artists.

I support non-RIAA artists in buying their music from their own websites, and attend live concerts. I urge others to support their artists, and to NOT support greedy CEOs.

-----------
As for the part about Limewire 'opening a port, making you insecure' That is a ridiculous statement. When you use iChat, Safari, Mail, online video games, any program that access the internet- you are using a port that is 'open' when the program is running. Limewire running makes your computer no less secure than running iChat.

-----------
There are many cases of P2P which ARE legal, and useful. Here is a torrent from Duke.edu, for example:

http://torrent.dulug.duke.edu/

http://www.legaltorrents.com/index.htm

bigandy

macrumors G3
Apr 30, 2004
Murka
limewire for MacOS X, has been found to be very problematic for my friends and i.

try Acquisition (here) - one of the best mac programmes ever written, let alone p2p!

check out his "Inquisitor" programme too - it's sweeet :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.