Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borbas.geri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
I bought a second-hand Mac Mini (5,2) for Plex.
CPU Proximity temperature often raises above 70°-80° (when copying files).

Should I be worried / consider returning the Mac Mini?
Or is it in the normal threshold (meaning I can probably use it for a couple of years to come).

teksurv

macrumors regular
May 25, 2008
San Diego, CA
I had that model several years back, I don't recall the exact temps. What I do remember is after repasting the CPU and replacing the CPU fan (can clean them if bearings still good) I saw on average a ~7 degree drop in CPU temps. Maybe something to consider.

borbas.geri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
I had that model several years back, I don't recall the exact temps. What I do remember is after repasting the CPU and replacing the CPU fan (can clean them if bearings still good) I saw on average a ~7 degree drop in CPU temps. Maybe something to consider.
Thanks, I'm definitely considering a fan replacement. Repasting seems somewhat more tricky, I would only do that if really needed (which I'm trying to gauge here).

Last edited:

MacCheetah3

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2003
Central MN
The CPU die is designed to withstand up to 100 ºC. However, the Mac attempts to not allow it above 90 ºC, first by increasing fan speed then throttling, if necessary.

I’ve had my mini at peak load many times in its lifespan, and nearly 24/7 at peak for more than a year. No observed problems. I do have a stand that holds the mini vertically plus occasionally clean out any dust.

Reactions: borbas.geri

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Given the Mac Minis prior to M1 were all running at around those temps and there has been no wide or indeed narrow reports of heat causing them to fail you will be fine.

opeter

macrumors 68030
Aug 5, 2007
Slovenia
Yeah, these temps were quite standard for the dual core Intel models in the 2011 and 2012 Mac minis. And not to mention the 2011 (the I7-2635QM) and 2012 (2.3 GHz I7-3615QM and 2.6 GHz I7-3720QM) quad core 45 W mobile CPUs, that could potentially reach 100ºC (the CPU was designed for 105ºC)!

Here is a discussion on that matter:

In contrary, the 2018/2020 i3 model being a 65 W CPU, was much more colder.

The 2018/2020 six core i5 and i7 could very fast reach temperatures up to 100ºC. Sooner or later thermal throttling began.

borbas.geri

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 8, 2011
Thanks for all the inputs, such a great community! I'll do nothing for now then. If it starts to creep up around 90º, I'll do some cleanup, repasting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.