Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crowe-t

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 7, 2014
Satellite Of Love
Is MAC OS Mojave 10.14.6 still safe to use for going online? I know it's not supported but I still see the lock in the URL bar.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Use Firefox 115.x ESR for browsing with uBlock Origin installed however it's not a guarantee that you will be safe online... I am still running macOS Catalina 10.15.7 on my MacBook Pro 2015 dual boot with Windows 10

avz

macrumors 68000
Oct 7, 2018
Stalingrad, Russia
The only shocking thing that I have learned on this forum is that apparently some countries block people from using internet banking if people are not using up to date software.

I guess I was lucky in a sense that one of my older banks sent an email saying that Safari 6 will be officially unsupported from May 2020. No wonder I was able to do my banking in Mac OS X Leopard even using outdated browsers until May 2018 when I discovered MacRumors and Mojave on unsupported Macs thread.

misterlwc

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2023
London, Belfast, Barcelona
Mac OS Mojave 10.14 was released in 2018, as a result it has finished security updates quite sometime ago. Due to this release has not been patched for security for quite sometime now it maybe quite vulnerable to use. Presently Mac OS Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma are presently receiving security updates. Therefore I would recommend updating to one of these releases for optimal protection against known threats and vulnerabilities. As Mac OS Sonoma has just been released this may result in end of security patches/updates for Big Sur, so maybe update to Monterey, Ventura or Sonoma just to be safe.

misterlwc

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2023
London, Belfast, Barcelona
I'm better off not using Mojave anymore when going online?
Mac OS Mojave 10.14 was released in 2018, as a result it has finished security updates quite sometime ago. Due to this release has not been patched for security for quite sometime now it maybe quite vulnerable to use. Presently Mac OS Big Sur, Monterey, Ventura and Sonoma are presently receiving security updates. Therefore I would recommend updating to one of these releases for optimal protection against known threats and vulnerabilities. As Mac OS Sonoma has just been released this may result in end of security patches/updates for Big Sur, so maybe update to Monterey, Ventura or Sonoma just to be safe.

carylee2002

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2008
I haven't used my mojave for online purposes for a while since my macpro is dedicated for photography work and is only online when needed for programs. That being said, I use my windows 10 via my 2018 mac mini as my primary internet source.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.