Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

M3grit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
Hi guys,
Im thinking about buying macbook, because of Final Cut X. I edit videos, but onetime purchase seems better to me than paying adobe pro/month. I edit simple videos, 2-5 minutes. Primarily for school. I also want to learn some basic programming in C#
And i’ve heard, that Windows can program only for Windows, but macs can both for iOS/MacOS and Windows.

I dont have that much money for the 2020 version, but i have found cheap 2013, so...

Can Macbook pro 2013 handle basic programming and basic/intermidiate video editing?
I’m not sure if it has better versions, so here are the specs:i5, 4gb RAM, 128gb SSD

I also found 2014 macbook pro with 8gb RAM, its about 70$ more, is it worth?

Thanks guys for your replies

iapplerandomthings

macrumors newbie
Feb 10, 2016
Not really.

The Macbook Pro 13' it's a very poor graphics performance machine and it has dual core processors. You should look for a 15' Macbook Pro that alredy has 8gb of ram and quad core i7 standard at least retina ones. For programming, you must have at least 8gb of ram. With 4gb it will struggle. Also as I said, a quad-core proccesor helps a lot. Dedicaded graphics will be a plus.

A 2012 retina/non retina 15' MBP could be great deal for you if you can find one for a fair price.

Reactions: M3grit

aangvento

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2020
You want a machine with 8Gb. 4 will feel pretty laggy! For 70 more it is more than worth it! The 2014 is also more stable!

Also, there is no such thing as being able to only program for windows or mac. Programs are written in languages, and you can write them in any languages. Macs are pretty good because they have a great keyboard, nice screens and an amazing trackpad. I would recommend getting the 2014, should be good enough for school work! Won't be lightning fast but will likely run what you need to. Just be sure to keep an eye on the storage as 100Gb fills up quite easily, and you want to keep 10-20% of it free to it works faster.

M3grit

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 19, 2020
Thanks a lot
[automerge]1597928454[/automerge]
Not really.

The Macbook Pro 13' it's a very poor graphics performance machine and it has dual core processors. You should look for a 15' Macbook Pro that alredy has 8gb of ram and quad core i7 standard at least retina ones. For programming, you must have at least 8gb of ram. With 4gb it will struggle. Also as I said, a quad-core proccesor helps a lot. Dedicaded graphics will be a plus.

A 2012 retina/non retina 15' MBP could be great deal for you if you can find one for a fair price.

Thanks, ive found 15’, 8gb Ram, 128gb ssd for similar price. I think ill go for that

MathChief

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2020
I am still rocking a 2013 13inch dual-core i7 rMBP, 8GB ram. As now my major ML computing tasks are running on cloud, the programming experience is pretty nice. Visual Studio Code runs pretty smooth, toy ML models run well locally as well (say an NN with less than 100k parameters).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.