Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Queen6

macrumors G4
"we are very much committed to Pro community".

Falls off chair laughing :p not even going to bother to watch next Keynote, will be just more of the same; spec bumps, port reduction, lets not forget thinner and a bunch of Apple execs congratulating themselves. Then again if Microsoft pull another rabbit out the hat like the Studio, maybe I will. Watching Phil Schiller squirm trying to make the MBP with "Noob Bar" look "awesome" was priceless :p

Q-6

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
Falls off chair laughing :p not even going to bother to watch next Keynote, will be just more of the same; spec bumps, port reduction, lets not forget thinner and a bunch of Apple execs congratulating themselves. Then again if Microsoft pull another rabbit out the hat like the Studio, maybe I will. Watching Phil Schiller squirm trying to make the MBP with "Noob Bar" look "awesome" was priceless :p

Q-6

The real "Think Different" decades have just simply become a part of Apples' history!

Cheers

Reactions: Queen6

ZapNZs

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2017

Q-6

What kind of worries me, is when I shifted to Apple, I was certain that Apple was more committed to the OS X ecosystem than Microsoft was committed to the Windows ecosystem.

This was in the era of...
"Here's Windows ME and Windows Vista. It's slower than the last release, a hell of a lot less reliable, will attract more viruses than Charlie Sheen, will crash your programs that ran fine on your previous OS, won't work well with your older devices, won't work well with new devices, and frankly we don't give a poop, because Bill Gates is swimming in an olympic sized swimming pool filled with the cash (and tears) that this horrible software has generated. And if you have a problem, feel free to call someone else, because we don't care."

At the same time, Apple was like...
"Here's OS X Snow Leopard. It has NO NEW FEATURES, but you are going to love this because, unlike Windows, it works right the first time around, it's logically designed, it's fast as hell, it works great on older and new machines, and it sure is reliable. And yes, the Server version works great too."

Today, I don't have quite such certain feelings regarding Apple's commitment to OS X...where as El Capitan said to me they are still strongly committed, something like the formally endorsed LG 5k monitor debacle and graphics glitches with Sierra said the opposite. That would be fine if I still felt the same way about Microsoft, but I don't. Microsoft realized that Windows, despite the larger sales, was always seen as an inferior version of OS X. Their commitment to Windows 10 seems to be tremendous, and their customer service IMO has gotten almost as good as Apple.

So I'm uncertain what the future will bring. I wish Mr. Cook the best, and I hope he delivers on his commitments, and I hope Apple as a whole realizes the importance of delivering, since Microsoft is clearly gunning for many of their long-term Users.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck and Queen6

Queen6

macrumors G4
What kind of worries me, is when I shifted to Apple, I was certain that Apple was more committed to the OS X ecosystem than Microsoft was committed to the Windows ecosystem.

"Here's Windows ME and Windows Vista. It's slower than the last release, a hell of a lot less reliable, will attract more viruses than Charlie Sheen, will crash your programs that ran fine on your previous OS, won't work well with your older devices, won't work well with new devices, and frankly we don't give a poop, because Bill Gates is swimming in an olympic sized swimming pool filled with the cash (and tears) that this horrible software has generated. And if you have a problem, feel free to call someone else, because we don't care."

"Here's OS X Snow Leopard. It has NO NEW FEATURES, but you are going to love this because, unlike Windows, it works right the first time around, it's logically designed, it's fast as hell, it works great on older and new machines, and it sure is reliable. And yes, the Server version works great too."

Today, I don't have quite such certain feelings regarding Apple's commitment to OS X...where as El Capitan said to me they are still strongly committed, something like the formally endorsed LG 5k monitor debacle and graphics glitches with Sierra said the opposite. That would be fine if I still felt the same way about Microsoft, but I don't. Microsoft realized that Windows, despite the larger sales, was always seen as an inferior version of OS X. Their commitment to Windows 10 seems to be tremendous, and their customer service IMO has gotten almost as good as Apple.

So I'm uncertain what the future will bring. I wish Mr. Cook the best, and I hope he delivers on his commitments, and I hope Apple as a whole realizes the importance of delivering, since Microsoft is clearly gunning for many of their long-term Users.

I always deferred to Apple for the superior OS stability and premium notebook lines, however I have simply tired of Apple's current direction, both hardware & software. Increased instability of OS X, dull Mac lineup, lacking of any real innovation towards improved productivity, with unrealistic pricing. A seemingly obsessive compulsion to produce ever thinner hardware, at the cost of usability. Net result I am now shifting to Microsoft. I don't need fashion statements, I need tools that get the job done, that are practical today & tomorrow.

I very much agree Microsoft is targeting aspects of Apple's longterm user/customer base and to be honest Microsoft is doing a great job. My own experience with the Surface Book and Windows 10 has been markedly better than my experience with OS X of late. If the Surface Book is a sign of what Microsoft will produce going forward I am all for it.

Nor do I trust Apple from a business perspective, Apple only seems to react to strong negative press, not it's customers needs, with 80% being good enough at best. To me Apple is now a company that produces phones & gadgets with an interest/commitment in the PC space, it shows, has done for some time. Personally I had high hopes of the 2016 MBP, on release I opted for Surface Book for my 13" solution, enough said.

Was a time I would unreservedly recommend the Mac, today I see little if any reason. Apple today is solely about Apple, the value the Mac once represented has gone...

Q-6

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

dumastudetto

macrumors 603
Aug 28, 2013
Los Angeles, USA

I think we should be absolutely clear - if Microsoft had achieved the same level of success as Apple has achieved with its mobile products and devices, then their commitment to Windows on desktops and laptops would have been relegated to something much lower. Indeed, Windows 8 showed Microsoft was willing to ruin the OS for desktop users in a desperate attempt at grabbing a big piece of the mobile market. Only when the strategy failed did they row it all back with Windows 10 and re-focus on their core businesses.

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
I think we should be absolutely clear - if Microsoft had achieved the same level of success as Apple has achieved with its mobile products and devices, then their commitment to Windows on desktops and laptops would have been relegated to something much lower. Indeed, Windows 8 showed Microsoft was willing to ruin the OS for desktop users in a desperate attempt at grabbing a big piece of the mobile market. Only when the strategy failed did they row it all back with Windows 10 and re-focus on their core businesses.

I can only hope that Apple will/can admit it ran it's pro-vehicle of the road and get back-on-track. My personal opinion of course.

Cheers

Floris

macrumors 68020
Sep 7, 2007
Netherlands
Just adding pro to an iPad, but not releasing actual hardware for the pro users, .. the answer is kinda no.
I haven't felt a pro apple in a while, and it hurts me. as a consumer and as freelancer.

Reactions: Queen6 and m4v3r1ck

JoelTheSuperior

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2014
A lot of people are saying that Apple are completely ignoring their pro customers but I don't think this is strictly true.

Don't get me wrong - the pro hardware offerings right now are ridiculous but in terms of software I genuinely don't think so.

macOS Sierra certainly wasn't a groundbreaking update but it didn't need to be - I still maintain that in many ways, macOS is still vastly superior to Windows and I'd much rather be using it. The pro software is fantastic - Logic Pro is easily the best DAW I've used in recent memory by miles and the recent updates go further to cement this. Final Cut Pro X, despite its troubled launch, is a really, really nice NLE to work with and seems to render much faster than anything else I've worked with and I'm pretty happy with Motion too.

I suppose my point is, as much as we're unhappy with the state of Apple's hardware, I'm still pretty happy with their software. I just wish they gave me something better to run it on.

Reactions: m4v3r1ck

m4v3r1ck

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2011
The Netherlands
A lot of people are saying that Apple are completely ignoring their pro customers but I don't think this is strictly true.

Don't get me wrong - the pro hardware offerings right now are ridiculous but in terms of software I genuinely don't think so.

macOS Sierra certainly wasn't a groundbreaking update but it didn't need to be - I still maintain that in many ways, macOS is still vastly superior to Windows and I'd much rather be using it. The pro software is fantastic - Logic Pro is easily the best DAW I've used in recent memory by miles and the recent updates go further to cement this. Final Cut Pro X, despite its troubled launch, is a really, really nice NLE to work with and seems to render much faster than anything else I've worked with and I'm pretty happy with Motion too.

I suppose my point is, as much as we're unhappy with the state of Apple's hardware, I'm still pretty happy with their software. I just wish they gave me something better to run it on.

Compared to it's software, imho the hardware now-a-days is a complete joke. I'm holding on to two cMP's - 3.1 & 5.1 - but only till the day the die on me. I do hope Apple will support us pro-users with a new pro-line Mac, that will be 'future proof" for a life span of about 5-7 years.

It ain't going to happen I'm afraid!

Cheers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.