Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AF_APPLETALK

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2020
I really don’t understand the hate you guys have towards him. Is it frustrating when he’s wrong? Yes. But do you just want him and all the other sometimes inaccurate leakers (which would be all of them) to go away and for all rumors to dry up? Then MacRumors can only on make articles on news that comes straight from Apple’s newsroom.
It's that he never really had any authority. He didn't do the work, had it all handed to him and has built a fake reputation, with a dash of arrogance.

Reactions: Chuckeee

TechnoMonk

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2022
Con Artist is a strong word. Good for him, he had sources earlier to gain street cred. Now, he id just an analyst making informed guesses. Nothing wrong about it, if Apple are willing to pay.

Ctrlos

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2022
It’s his job to predict the future based on trends. He’s bound to get a few things wrong!

Reactions: za9ra22

za9ra22

macrumors 65816
Sep 25, 2003
It’s his job to predict the future based on trends. He’s bound to get a few things wrong!
Clearly, it isn't understood that the job of an analyst in the financial marketplace is to observe, and comment, so that investors have at least something other than guesswork to work on when deciding where to put their money.

Gurman is doing exactly what his employer wants him for. For them, whatever the OP here thinks, he's a 'value added' asset that helps make them money.

Reactions: kc9hzn

MallardDuck

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2014
"con artist" is the wrong term, but it clearly got me to click! NICE JOB! (something i have come to expect from 9to5, but not here)

if I were leading apple's security team, gurman would be at the very top of my "leaky list" of people to foil and plug up his insider sources.
Or create false leaks to seed incorrect information to him.

emmab2006

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2008
Stoke on trent
the guy is a clueless hack who has convinced people he knows what he's talking about. When his track record is dire, I remember him saying '' the iPad mini pro won't be coming in wwdc ! '' then it came. the guys a hack.

Boeingfan

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2019
Australia
Given Apple’s preference that nobody knows anything until Apple announces it, I guess he thinks his spoiler success rate is good if it’s better than zero.

AlmightyKang

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2023
He's a symptom of modern media and journalism:

1. Bet the first to say something sensational to attract clicks.
2. Make money from side channel advertising and attention.
3. If it's wrong, say nothing and pretend nothing happened.
4. If it's right, promote how right it is to reinforce the brand/name.
5. Goto 1

Some of the larger news agencies (AP, BBC I am looking at you) manage to do this on slightly more important issues than what Apple is going to release next, which is a far bigger problem, especially when they end up down a rather large hole about certain issues and attract the attention of regulators. That's usually the end game for this.

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
H
He's a symptom of modern media and journalism:

1. Bet the first to say something sensational to attract clicks.
2. Make money from side channel advertising and attention.
3. If it's wrong, say nothing and pretend nothing happened.
4. If it's right, promote how right it is to reinforce the brand/name.
5. Goto 1

Some of the larger news agencies (AP, BBC I am looking at you) manage to do this on slightly more important issues than what Apple is going to release next, which is a far bigger problem, especially when they end up down a rather large hole about certain issues and attract the attention of regulators. That's usually the end game for this.
How does he make money from
Side channels ?

JustAnExpat

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2019
Yes from Bloomberg who pays him a salary to be an “expert” but he just writes fiction
Bloomberg writes a lot of fiction. Remember that fictional story they wrote about how some Chinese spies were putting microchips in computer servers used by Amazon and Apple?

Reactions: BKDad

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
He doesn't seem to have sources or connections within the industry. He just makes stuff up constantly. I'm not sure why MR uses him as a source. I mean I get it ... clicks and traffic ... but there HAS to be a better go-to person for this sort of thing.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
He doesn't seem to have sources or connections within the industry. He just makes stuff up constantly. I'm not sure why MR uses him as a source. I mean I get it ... clicks and traffic ... but there HAS to be a better go-to person for this sort of thing.

How do you make stuff up like knowing the specs, resolution, and entire design aesthetic of Vision Pro? And that's a full 18 months before anybody in the public got their hands on the actual product.

He is the go-to person.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
How do you make stuff up like knowing the specs, resolution, and entire design aesthetic of Vision Pro? And that's a full 18 months before anybody in the public got their hands on the actual product.

He is the go-to person.

There never was a Mac Pro "Extreme," and it was pretty obvious the Vision Pro would feature an M2 or a similar chip. He also failed to mention the separate R1 chip. Contrary to his claim, the new Apple TV actually came with an A15 chip, not an A14. The rest of his tweet is just generic speculation anyone could make. About 90% of what he says is basically "there's a new iPhone coming this year." None of his insights are groundbreaking. He's wrong in his guesses 99% of the time, and most of what he gets right is already common knowledge.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
There never was a Mac Pro "Extreme," and it was pretty obvious the Vision Pro would feature an M2 or a similar chip. He also failed to mention the separate R1 chip. Contrary to his claim, the new Apple TV actually came with an A15 chip, not an A14. The rest of his tweet is just generic speculation anyone could make. About 90% of what he says is basically "there's a new iPhone coming this year." None of his insights are groundbreaking. He's wrong in his guesses 99% of the time, and most of what he gets right is already common knowledge.

Apple canned the M2 Ultra chip.

How was it "obvious" Vision Pro would use M2 with 16GB? Why not M2 Pro? Everybody thought it would use M3. Heck, you had people argue it would be silently updated to M3 even after said M2 at WWDC.

Squirrrrel

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2024
Apple canned the M2 Ultra chip.

How was it "obvious" Vision Pro would use M2 with 16GB? Why not M2 Pro? Everybody thought it would use M3. Heck, you had people argue it would be silently updated to M3 even after said M2 at WWDC.
He was just guessing. It’s simple as that. He’s confidently incorrect all the time.

And no, Apple didn’t can the M2 Ultra chip. It’s in the Mac Studio and the Mac Pro.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chuckeee and BKDad

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
He was just guessing. It’s simple as that. He’s confidently incorrect all the time.

Why didn't anybody here or anywhere on the Internet "guess" M2/16GB?

I don't know anybody who "guessed" these Vision Pro features 6 months in advance either.

How do you guess Sony and not Samsung or LG or BOE?
Digital Crown and not capacitive button?
AR Pass Through mode - that's never been done before
Two hour battery life and not 1.5 or 3 hours?

1714095712143.png
1714095716714.png
1714095720411.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.