Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
I'm planning on getting the new MBA and I remember last year, if you bought a new MacBook within a set period of time, you would get OS X Mountain Lion fore free.

How does it work for Mavericks?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I'm planning on getting the new MBA and I remember last year, if you bought a new MacBook within a set period of time, you would get OS X Mountain Lion fore free.

How does it work for Mavericks?
Mavericks will probably be $19.99 (US) unless you but a new Mac shortly before it releases. Apple will announce when that date it, but expect it to be about a month before Mavericks is released

irDigital0l

Original poster
Dec 7, 2010
Mavericks will probably be $19.99 (US) unless you but a new Mac shortly before it releases. Apple will announce when that date it, but expect it to be about a month before Mavericks is released

So I should probably wait a bit. Also there's a back to school thing like they give you $100 iTunes gift card or something?

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
So I should probably wait a bit. Also there's a back to school thing like they give you $100 iTunes gift card or something?
If you can wait, do wait for the back to school deal (if they have it this year - we should know within 2 or 3 weeks).

And you never know what the deal will be.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its usually free once they set the date, so if you bought a computer now, chances are you'll end up paying for the upgrade.

ZMacintosh

macrumors 65816
Nov 13, 2008
$1000+ for a computer and you cant cough up ~$20 for a nice OS? :eek:

Generally though its once the announcement is made moving forward, any machine purchased after the announcement gets the Up-to-date option.

RAPTORSKI

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2013
British Columbia
Apple should just stop charging for OS updates, if iOS 7 is free and is such a huge update, then why can't OSX be free, especially for Mountain Lion users. :confused:

But then again this is nothing I did not expect so I'll probably end up paying the $20 bucks or whatever it is, especially if there are any kind of back to school deals going along with it.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Apple should just stop charging for OS updates, if iOS 7 is free and is such a huge update, then why can't OSX be free, especially for Mountain Lion users. :confused:

But then again this is nothing I did not expect so I'll probably end up paying the $20 bucks or whatever it is, especially if there are any kind of back to school deals going along with it.

Hey it's better than buying a Windows license!

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
i'm guessing any mac that was purchase after june 10 2013 would get free upgrades.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
i'm guessing any mac that was purchase after june 10 2013 would get free upgrades.
When Apple announces the shipping date of Mavericks, they will announce the cutoff date for the Up To Date program.

Typically (but not always) that cutoff is date the announcement is made. Expect the announcement about a month before Mavericks release date.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.