Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
We’ve always looked to Gurman for all his bold predictions & guidances with his insider knowledge, but off late he’s clearly missed the mark and his mind ray wipe has been doing a number on us .

From these flames did emerge Max Tech who’s come up with far more outlandish predictions. He called the M4 ultra launch at WWDC before Gurman could even speak off the base line M4 which was considered blasphemous by many, He also did the same with the M4 IPad Pro. Now here we are where in Gurman has also corroborated that it could be the case .

So is Max Tech the real messiah , while Gurman a false prophet ?

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future."
-- attributed to Yogi Berra, among others

The only way to answer your question is to wait for the prophesied time or event, and see what actually happens. Anything else is speculation, i.e. engaging in prophesy.

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future."
-- attributed to Yogi Berra, among others

The only way to answer your question is to wait for the prophesied time or event, and see what actually happens. Anything else is speculation, i.e. engaging in prophesy.
Well said

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
How so? Lots of changes in the new iPad release dates but he can't predict Apple changing the release date.
Well he said the iPad Pro will feature the M3 but when a lot of users pointed out that the software version for the upcoming iPad corresponds to an M4 and the chip number does too , he’s quickly backtracked

Then what is he good for ?

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

If you are looking for absolute accuracy then a rumors site or newsletter isn't for you. His ~85% accuracy score is amazing given the number of sources he has to find and weigh their statements before publishing. The M3/M4 issue has only gained prominence in the last few weeks. It takes time to find multiple source to give credence to any rumor.

Newgoblin49

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2024
If you are looking for absolute accuracy then a rumors site or newsletter isn't for you. His ~85% accuracy score is amazing given the number of sources he has to find and weigh their statements before publishing. The M3/M4 issue has only gained prominence in the last few weeks. It takes time to find multiple source to give credence to any rumor.
Where did you take out that 85% from ?

Another user has been tracking him , took it out as 50%

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007

I keep all of his Power On newsletters and even though the 2nd hasn't been updated since 2022 that ~85% figure seems to be about right.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
We’ve always looked to Gurman for all his bold predictions & guidances with his insider knowledge, but off late he’s clearly missed the mark and his mind ray wipe has been doing a number on us .

From these flames did emerge Max Tech who’s come up with far more outlandish predictions. He called the M4 ultra launch at WWDC before Gurman could even speak off the base line M4 which was considered blasphemous by many, He also did the same with the M4 IPad Pro. Now here we are where in Gurman has also corroborated that it could be the case .

So is Max Tech the real messiah , while Gurman a false prophet ?

What? No. Max Techs channel summed up: "This is the worst Apple Product ever!" ... "Why I was wrong and this is the best Apple Product Ever!" He's the tech equivalent of throwing something against the wall and seeing if it sticks.

Every...release.

I unsubscribed when he did an absolute terrible job on his initial M2 MacBook Air review. He was so far off the mark I just realized it's not worth watching any more. (For a real review on that device, check out Lisa from Mobile Tech Review's review, her experience mirrored mine.)

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Well he said the iPad Pro will feature the M3 but when a lot of users pointed out that the software version for the upcoming iPad corresponds to an M4 and the chip number does too , he’s quickly backtracked

In big tech, when people try and track down leakers they will tell some teams one thing, and other teams something else. His sources could be fed bad info in an attempt to trap them. He's speculating based on the information he has, he's not going to be completely correct all the time.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
He is a YouTube revenue pimp who creates clickbait videos for the gullible.
That's hard to argue, but at the same time, some of their videos are decent. A problem with a lot of the reviewers on YT is that they become consumed by the content monster that can never be sated.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Looks like Gurman wins again. His M4 prediction came true.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
So I have to give credit where credit is due. I stopped watching MaxTech due to the constant flip flopping but this video was very informative and not click-bait-y:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.