Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iMacBoy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 24, 2009
Hey Guys,

I recently got my 21.5" iMac..

I was wondering if MobileMe would be worth the money for me, i am 13 years old and i am the only one out of my mates that has a mac..
i would upload a site to it made on iweb.

Oh and..
If you have a mobileme account do you get an email address such as,
yourname@mac.com?

Is it too much to pay for what i would be doing with it?

Thanks,

illegalprelude

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2005
Los Angeles, California
imho, I love Mobile, ive had it from the original day of .Mac

First, your email address will be JohnAppleseed@Me.com (.Mac was the old name)

2nd, what I like about MobileMe is that I have many Macs and PC's and I like having all my information in sync. From there on, I design stuff on iWeb cause frankly, I dont like dealing with 3rd party stuff like Go Daddy and then trying to make it work with iWeb. I just click publish and walla im done. and 3rd, I like being able to have access to my files on my iDisk, from any web related device.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
Hey Guys,

I recently got my 21.5" iMac..

I was wondering if MobileMe would be worth the money for me, i am 13 years old and i am the only one out of my mates that has a mac..
i would upload a site to it made on iweb.

Oh and..
If you have a mobileme account do you get an email address such as,
yourname@mac.com?

Is it too much to pay for what i would be doing with it?

Thanks,

Congrats on your new Mac!

Now, to answer your questions in reverse order: you can choose whatever name you want for your email, unless of course it's already taken. Unfortunately you can't get @mac.com emails anymore, but you'll get whatever@me.com.

As far as price, if all you want is webhosting and email, you can do way better than MobileMe. A place like machighway.com will give you Mac-friendly email and webhosting for only $40 a year. The extra MobileMe features are mostly useful only if you have multiple Macs and/or an iPhone/iPod Touchs. On the other hand, if you DO have more than one Mac (or an iPhone/iPod Touch), you may find MobileMe to be useful!

Also, if you DO decide to go with MobileMe, DON'T buy it from Apple. You can get it for $70/year from a lot of places, including Amazon.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Jun 7, 2008
Wow a 13 year old with his own imac. Normally I'd say $70 for mobileme is too much for someone your age, but I have a feeling it's not a problem.

Yeah it's worth it. For web publishing, there are other (cheaper ways) to do it. But for syncing across multiple devices, there's nothing simpler. There are plenty that are cheaper (or free), but you'll spend wasted minutes logging in to things on each device and syncing. I like the "mindless" syncing if mobileme.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
Why don't you sign up for the 60 day trial and see if you like it? I think you will like it for what you are wanting to do. During the trial period, you can shop around for a good deal on an MobileMe subscription. Places like Amazon have it regularly for under $70.

Also, don't forget you have the remote wipe feature for your iPhone should it ever get lost or stolen.

hokiepokie07

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
The main reason I like it is so I can sync across Mac computers. I also like it because I can sync my iPhone with my laptop.

I've never actually used the website stuff though. I upload pictures from time to time, but I doubt anyone even views them!

So basically, I like to be able to adjust my calendar on an iMac and it sync in seconds to my laptop and iPhone.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
The main reason I like it is so I can sync across Mac computers. I also like it because I can sync my iPhone with my laptop.

I've never actually used the website stuff though. I upload pictures from time to time, but I doubt anyone even views them!

So basically, I like to be able to adjust my calendar on an iMac and it sync in seconds to my laptop and iPhone.

This sums it up beautifully. OP, do you have more than one computer that you regularly use? Do you have an iPhone or iPod Touch? Would you like to keep all of your mail, contacts, bookmarks, and calendars (and if you have more than one Mac, other things like saved passwords) synced across these various devices?

If these sound like features you could/would use, you'll probably like MobileMe. If you only have one Mac and no iPod/iPhone, then MobileMe doesn't really do anything you can't get anywhere else for way cheaper (or even free, in the case of photo hosting).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.