Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JuicyJones

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 20, 2011
I've read rumors about 10.8 being 64-bit only, which seems really cool but I just don't buy into it. There are too many applications that are 32-bit still and Apple would have to do a lot of updating to change this. iWork is exclusively 32-bit. We all know we need a new version of iWork but I think we all gave up hope that it will be out anytime soon. Also Logic is natively 32-bit and 64-bit must be enabled manually. But even if you do enable it manually, a lot of Logic Plugins still run in 32-bit mode. Do u think we'll see software updates to these applications before 10.8 or new versions of these applications? Or could the rumors be false that 10.8 will be exclusively 64-bit?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I've read rumors about 10.8 being 64-bit only, which seems really cool but I just don't buy into it. There are too many applications that are 32-bit still and Apple would have to do a lot of updating to change this. iWork is exclusively 32-bit. We all know we need a new version of iWork but I think we all gave up hope that it will be out anytime soon. Also Logic is natively 32-bit and 64-bit must be enabled manually. But even if you do enable it manually, a lot of Logic Plugins still run in 32-bit mode. Do u think we'll see software updates to these applications before 10.8 or new versions of these applications? Or could the rumors be false that 10.8 will be exclusively 64-bit?

Check out this thread here.

Will OS X 10.8 be x64 only?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.