Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jan08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
Wakefield, England
Any help here would be much, much appreciated.

I have a 3GS and the 3rd to 5th digit of the serial number are 034 so I thought I'd be OK. The power button doesn't work which has made this process a nightmare.

Yesterday I got Redsn0w to change to the iPad baseband but after it completed its process and its says wait for reboot, the screen went black and it wouldn't be seen by either iTunes, Redsn0w or Tiny Umbrella.

Today I have taken it to a local shop and he has brought it to life but it is now stuck on Activation and won't get past that. iTunes is saying no sim so I can't restore. Its connecting to WIFI which leads me to think its not bricked, but if I can't get it turned on it may as well be

I'm as stuck as I've ever been with an iDevice. Please fellow MR forumistas, help me out :D

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Hook it up to redsn0w and jailbreak it during the proccess it will ask to activate, do so.

Afterwards you will have a jailbroken, activated 3GS.
Install Ultrasn0w from Cydia and you should be in business.

jan08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
Wakefield, England
Hook it up to redsn0w and jailbreak it during the proccess it will ask to activate, do so.

Afterwards you will have a jailbroken, activated 3GS.
Install Ultrasn0w from Cydia and you should be in business.
The power button doesn't work so I can't seem to get it into DFU mode. Looks like I need to get that done to get anywhere

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
The power button doesn't work so I can't seem to get it into DFU mode. Looks like I need to get that done to get anywhere

use the latest redsn0w 9.14b2

from the Dev-team blog:
DFU IPSW

We’ve gotten a lot of feedback from users who can’t launch a DFU ramdisk because their iPhone home/power buttons are broken or intermittent. We’ve added a new redsn0w feature that lets you enter DFU mode as long as your phone is healthy enough to restore to a normal, everyday IPSW. You don’t need to be already jailbroken to use this method.

In redsn0w, go to “Extras->Even More>DFU IPSW” and select an IPSW that is currently being signed for your device and that you’d normally be able to restore to without any hacks. redsn0w will create an “ENTER_DFU_” version of the IPSW that you can restore to just like any other IPSW, except that now you’ll be dumped into DFU mode towards the end of the restore (WARNING, your screen will remain completely black…the only way to even know its on is that iTunes and redsn0w will detect it!). The technique used by this feature is 3 years old but surprisingly still works today!"

http://blog.iphone-dev.org

jan08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
Wakefield, England
Yes I did that to get this far, but that doesn't seem to be an option now because I can't get into iTunes as its stuck on the No Sim card page.

Schoolboy error on my part to buy a cheap 3GS just to tide me over, but buy one with faulty power button

daudi

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2012
if you are on windows try this:
1) Download this file

2.) Extract the archive to the root of your hard drive, should be C:/DFU/

3.) Connect your iPhone and ignore iTunes

4.) Goto Start - run

5.) Next type in “c:/dfu/dfu iBSS.m68ap.RELEASE.dfu”

6.) Wait for iPhone to show a “white” screen.So you are in DFU mode...

jan08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
Wakefield, England
if you are on windows try this:
1) Download this file

2.) Extract the archive to the root of your hard drive, should be C:/DFU/

3.) Connect your iPhone and ignore iTunes

4.) Goto Start - run

5.) Next type in “c:/dfu/dfu iBSS.m68ap.RELEASE.dfu”

6.) Wait for iPhone to show a “white” screen.So you are in DFU mode...
Cheers I'll try this. I'm on Mac, but I've got a VM Fusion so I'll try it on there

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
did you try Recboot to get it in to Recovery mode?

That way iTunes should recognize it and you should be able to restore with the redsn0w-DFU IPSW

jan08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
Wakefield, England
Thanks for all the suggestions guys but I got nowhere. Recboot just says I am missing something and the suggestion from daudi just says No error and then nothing happens

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
Did you check to see if the host file or what server you are connecting too Apple or the Cydia server that might be your problem tinyumbrella is a easy way to check and fix the problem.

jan08

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 20, 2006
Wakefield, England
I'm going to get the Power button fixed this morning at £25, which will negate the idea I had of selling the IP4 early to get the best price for it, but that's life.

Will a re-Jailbreak 100% activate it? I've followed the iClarified tutorial and that doesn't say anything about activation, just "add activation ticket" which I ddon't have :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.