Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darmok N Jalad

macrumors 603
Original poster
Sep 26, 2017
Tanagra (not really)
So I have a trashcan Mac Pro and recently the fan will ramp to full speed whenever the Mac is awake. Even shortly into the boot process, it shoots to 100%, and it will stay there regardless of load. Thus far, performance is the same as always, with no throttling, crashes, or glitches. I tried all the usual tricks, reset PRAM, SMC reset, even booted to a separate SSD just to see if that was it. I've already cleaned the entire system from dust, and I applied new thermal paste to the GPUs and CPU a while back. What's odd is that this problem started shortly after I enabled FileVault, but even if I disable that, the results are the same. Temps all look decent, and using MacsFanControl gets the fan speeds back in line if I use a custom setting. You'd never know anything was up then.

I did a boot holding down D and got the PFM006 and PPN001 error codes. From what I've found online, people reference these codes after they notice their Macs started running poorly, but I haven't noticed any performance loss, just the fast fan issue. Question is, do you think it's still going to keep going, or is this the warning sign that system failure is just around the corner? Any other tips or tricks I haven't thought of? Replace the ribbon cables maybe?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.