Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
View attachment 2366436 View attachment 2366435

iPhone was constantly restarting for some reason for few hours.

Then it stabilized. There is no panic logs on diagnostic.

Then it seems that charging takes very long time as you can see, from 6:00PM-9:00PM, the phone was on charger, but only charging from 60%-88%.

Then in the morning, it took 3 hours only charging from 83%-91%.

Off the charger for few minutes, then as soon as open Camera app, the phone will restart, battery goes down to 10%. Restart again, back to 90%. However, when iPhone shows 90%, phone will restart as soon as Camera app launches.

Finally, put phone back to charger, now charging normally.

The battery health shows as 92%. Apple won’t replace battery health is above 80%. So if the battery is the issue, then what should I do?
Mine started doing this exact thing that you're describing about a month ago and the battery was faulty.

iPhone battery health was less than 400 cycles and battery health above 92% (Might have been 94%, I don't remember exactly).

Third-party apps like Coconut Battery gave the same stats and no warnings about anything when I plugged my iPhone into the Mac and opened the app. Other apps rated the battery health as "great", "no significant wear", etc.

But it kept draining suddenly for no reason and either charged way too quickly or way too slowly. Sometimes when drained, it would shut down and not turn on unless I charged it with a 12 or 20 watt charger.

But I suddenly noticed the display bulging in one corner and immediately knew the battery was "pillowing".

I got it replaced and now it's fine again.

*Yes, all batteries are dying. But it's supposed to happen exponentially, over many months and years. It's not supposed to plummet drastically within a few days or weeks.

ApplesAreSweet&Sour

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2018
The phone was in very bad shape when I brought as used. The back glass is completely shuttered and the front glass is scratched as hell with few hairline cracks.

But I got this for like $200 dollars. The local phone repair store was running the promo where if I gets screen replaced and sign up for a phone services, the screen replacement will be free.

So I ended up ask them to change back glass and screen, for very little money. Signed up for phone services and cancelled within a day (so no cost of getting new phone plan).

So I pretty much gets a good iPhone 12 Pro for very little money. Used for year and now the battery started acting up.

I am pretty sure it is original battery, since there is no “Unknown Battery” messages and there is also no “Genuine Apple Part” message.
Some third-party stores circumvent the "Unknown Battery" and lack of Battery Health section that you get from unofficial repairs/parts by using a spot welding machine and welding the old battery controller to the new battery

Most repairs shops don't do this as the added time brings the total cost pretty close to what Apple would charge with official parts and repairs.

Could be what you have in your 12 Pro.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Update:

I did the factory reset and problem persisted. I charged 100% and left the phone for overnight.

Turned on around 7:00PM (about a night and day), shows 75% then immediately restart then shows 12% battery.

I think the battery is dying. I will need to get new battery

bryo

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2021
Update:

I did the factory reset and problem persisted. I charged 100% and left the phone for overnight.

Turned on around 7:00PM (about a night and day), shows 75% then immediately restart then shows 12% battery.

I think the battery is dying. I will need to get new battery
Yeah I have had an issue like this a long time ago, it was the battery. Sometimes they develop bad cells and can causes things like sudden restarts. I would agree this sounds symptomatic of a failing battery.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
Yeah I have had an issue like this a long time ago, it was the battery. Sometimes they develop bad cells and can causes things like sudden restarts. I would agree this sounds symptomatic of a failing battery.

As stop gap solution, as I am debating if I should spend money on battery replacement, I found great deal on a battery case, which would temporarily help the issue.

I might just reset the iPhone and tread in for whatever the price I can get.

henrikhelmers

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2017
The battery health shows as 92%. Apple won’t replace battery health is above 80%. So if the battery is the issue, then what should I do?
Contact Apple support. This could be a manufacturing defect.

If the battery is just aging normally, going through charging cycles should let it recalibrate. But if you have already tried that, and the phone indicates that battery health is good when it is bad, then get it checked out.

Aoligei

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 16, 2020
UPDATE:

I went to local repair store at I know. The battery is actually starting to swollen. The owners took a good conditioned battery (95% battery health with 200 cycles) from an iCloud locked phone and installed for me for less than $40 dollars.

Now the phone actually functions again (despite have the battery message)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.