Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xblroyal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2006
Last night I was searching the web when all of a sudden the computer froze, I heard a Metallic snap and a clicking sound from inside the macbook. I then quickly held the power button to force off the comp. Now when I turn the macbook on I see a grey screen and I hear a churning sound coming from the lower right of the keyboard, after 5 minutes a grey folder with a question mark appears, nothing happens. My macbook is a little over a year old, is my HDD dead? I thought HDD's dies from like 4-10 years!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
The HD should last much longer than 4-10 years, but sometimes manufacturing defects cause them to fail much sooner. Try booting from your OS disc and see if it can find the HD in the disc utility, if it can, you may be able to salvage your data. Do you have Apple Care? If not, I'd start shopping for a new 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for your computer and get prepared to replace it.

TEG

Xblroyal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 20, 2006
I put the OS Disk in the MacBook, it got sucked in but it's not spinning, I tried to eject it but nothing happens. Now I have a broken MacBook with a vital CD stuck in it. HELP!!!

TEG

macrumors 604
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
Restart the computer and hold down C. If it doesn't work after that, restart and hold down the trackpad button, that will eject the disc, then take it to an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Repair Center to have them look at it.

TEG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.