Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GoneMad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2013
Recently my imac started having these graphic issues. I'm not sure if they are hardware or software related. You can see them here on the screenshot of my desktop, but if open a browser, it's like the spots stay under the browser window, but are still there on the desktop window when you minimize the browser. Sometimes they go away and sometimes they will appear on the browser window as well and will "jitter" or "shake" when you scroll.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
How old is this iMac?

You're saying that if you open another app, you -don't- see the spots in the app's window?
Unless you move the window out of the way?

I know this sounds illogical, but do you still see the spots if you change the desktop picture?

Reactions: The Doctor11

The Doctor11

macrumors 603
Dec 15, 2013
New York
Recently my imac started having these graphic issues. I'm not sure if they are hardware or software related. You can see them here on the screenshot of my desktop, but if open a browser, it's like the spots stay under the browser window, but are still there on the desktop window when you minimize the browser. Sometimes they go away and sometimes they will appear on the browser window as well and will "jitter" or "shake" when you scroll.

How many years have you had the iMac? This won't really help answer your question but I'm curious as I'm trying to decide if Apple Care is worth it or not as it only last 3 years.

GoneMad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2013
It's a mid 2010. Yes, I have changed the desktop picture. most of the time the spots will show up on the desktop, rarely will they appear over an app, but occasionally do. Earlier I opened finder and tried to stretch the window a bit, the whole screen filled with spots jittering and then shutdown and rebooted to a spotless screen. Now there are just a few spots in the corner near the new folder now.

GoneMad

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 26, 2013
After doing some research, turns this was fairly common on some older imacs. I've being running problem free after turning off transparency.

g33k

macrumors member
May 12, 2015
If I saw this in person, i'd say theres something wrong with either the video chip/card, or the display is funked up. But since you were able to take a screenshot, I really don't know. Your best bet is to make an appointment with a Genius at the Apple Store. They will at least be able to give you an estimate.

It seems like it may be due for an upgrade, but for some people that isn't an option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.