Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
At home, I work on my M1 MacBook Air connected in clamshell mode to my 23.7-inch LG UltraFine 4K Display, but I notice the battery usually charges to 100%, and remains charged while connected. However, I've been told that it's not ideal for battery life to work with the laptop plugged in all day. So, I feel like I should be working on battery power and only charge the battery when it's down below 10-20%. Interestingly, sometimes my computer shows that I'm at 80% charge at it seems to sit there for a while, and I get a message from the battery indicator saying that it's NOT charging, but it's running off of the power coming in through the USB-C port. I think the computer intelligently decides to turn the charging on and off at times to minimize the "working at 100% while charging problem", but I guess I don't know what the algorithm is for doing that or whether I can get manual control of this feature.

Can I keep my laptop connected to my display while NEVER charging the battery, or is there a way to turn the charging on and off while connected?

I have heard that it's best to run the computer on battery power as much as possible and try to charge the laptop only while it's off or sleeping. Is this even correct? Is there any way to stop the display from charging my laptop while connected? The M1 processor gives it MUCH LONGER battery life than my old 2016 MacBook Pro, and as such, I feel like I should take advantage of that and not leave it plugged in during the workday. But the problem is that I can't figure out how to connect it to my large monitor while not charging it simultaneously.

Lee Cooper

macrumors member
Dec 20, 2021
Battery charging is managed by the Mac not by LG.
It is under Preferences/power/battery, but there is no control of it except on /off.
I expect Apple knows how to keep battery healthy. It seems these days is not so much of a problem keeping the Mac plugged in all time.

Reactions: DrMotownMac

DrMotownMac

Contributor
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Michigan
Battery charging is managed by the Mac not by LG.
It is under Preferences/power/battery, but there is no control of it except on /off.
I expect Apple knows how to keep battery healthy. It seems these days is not so much of a problem keeping the Mac plugged in all time.
Thank you! I wasn't really sure, and I began to get a little nervous about leaving my laptop plugged into my monitor all day. My 2016 MacBook Pro was down to 80% battery life by October 2021, and I think my mistake was using it while it was plugged in all day. Hopefully, the batteries and software are a little better and smarter now to help prevent that. I'd hate to lose this amazing battery life I have in my new laptop!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.