Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

theramajor

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 17, 2019
Wisconsin
The fans on my MPB were spooling up pretty fast so I checked Activity Monitor to see what's going on. I noticed something called 'deleted.' This is what I found:

Screen Shot 2020-05-24 at 7.07.38 PM.png

cwd
/
txt
/System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CacheDelete.framework/deleted
txt
/Library/Preferences/Logging/.plist-cache.r8vMFLPr
txt
/private/var/db/analyticsd/events.whitelist
txt
/usr/share/icu/icudt64l.dat
txt
/System/Library/MessageTracer/SubmitDiagInfo.default.domains.searchtree
txt
/usr/lib/dyld
/dev/null
/dev/null
/dev/null
/System/Library/MessageTracer/SubmitDiagInfo.default.domains.searchtree

Cancelled
Apr 19, 2014
That's a built-in utility to purge disk caches and nothing to worry about. In the BSD tradition which Apple follows, daemons are processes that run continuously in the background, and their names end with a 'd'. "launchd" is a good example. Thus "deleted" is not the past tense of the English word delete; it's a daemon that performs deletion. It makes more sense if you mentally pronounce it "delete dee". Confusing naming on Apple's part and they should have picked a different term for this daemon.

jtstarr

macrumors newbie
Nov 24, 2020
I just did a search of the process group "com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice (42147)" which brought me to this forum page. I noticed the same high spinup of my MBP fans that theramajor described. Fans spun very fast, but no warm air out the vents; laptop bottom not hot to the touch in the slightest.

Where theramajor had "deleted", I have the aforementioned process group. In my CPU activity monitor, it shows not responding and continues hangup count. We both show the same .dat file, but different associated processes; and different folders: /private/var/db/analyticsd/ vs. /private/var/db/timezone/. Does that seem right? Should I just reboot? I expect it won't occur again....not right away. Suggestions?

cwd
/
txt
/System/Library/Frameworks/ApplicationServices.framework/Versions/A/Frameworks/HIServices.framework/Versions/A/XPCServices/com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice.xpc/Contents/MacOS/com.apple.hiservices-xpcservice
txt
/Library/Preferences/Logging/.plist-cache.jT0Zk1Mu
txt
/private/var/db/timezone/tz/2020d.1.0/icutz/icutz44l.dat
txt
txt
/private/var/folders/89/b7ml1pc11lj45w7l66vr8c500000gn/0/com.apple.LaunchServices.dv/com.apple.LaunchServices-1082-v2.csstore
txt
/usr/lib/dyld
/dev/null
/dev/null
/dev/null

Last edited:

tim_fully

macrumors newbie
Apr 7, 2022
Sydney, New South Wales
Yeh something not right about this....

cwd
/
txt
/usr/libexec/nsurlsessiond
txt
/Library/Preferences/Logging/.plist-cache.gZicKclg
txt
txt
/private/var/db/analyticsd/events.whitelist
txt
/private/var/db/mds/messages/501/se_SecurityMessages
txt
/usr/lib/dyld
/dev/null
/dev/null
/dev/null

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.