Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ralphch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
I recently purchased a new MBP 15" and I'm noticing something very strange with the colors across apps. The display is using the default "Color LCD" profile and I haven't change anything.

When I look at any webpage in Chrome or Safari, all colors appear faded/dull compared to Firefox, where they appear more vibrant. Here's an example screenshot showing Chrome on the left and Firefox on the right:

comparison.png

The same colors appear dull in some apps like Preview, but not others (e.g. Sketch, Illustrator).

If I change the display's color profile to Apple RGB or sRGB, then the colors look consistent cross apps.

Does anyone else have this issue? I'm not sure how to go about fixing this, or where to even start. Is my display defective?

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
I recently purchased a new MBP 15" and I'm noticing something very strange with the colors across apps. The display is using the default "Color LCD" profile and I haven't change anything.

When I look at any webpage in Chrome or Safari, all colors appear faded/dull compared to Firefox, where they appear more vibrant. Here's an example screenshot showing Chrome on the left and Firefox on the right:

comparison.png

The same colors appear dull in some apps like Preview, but not others (e.g. Sketch, Illustrator).

If I change the display's color profile to Apple RGB or sRGB, then the colors look consistent cross apps.

Does anyone else have this issue? I'm not sure how to go about fixing this, or where to even start. Is my display defective?

IF it is app dependent maybe its just the app?

Reactions: New_Mac_Smell

Schranke

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Copenhagen, Denmark
sounds like the app is reading the colour different. I would not be worried since as this seems to be app specific. if you had the colours change while only using 1 browser it is worth looking into

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
Suggestion:

Go to System Preferences/Displays/Color
... And try some different profiles.
Or... create your own custom profile.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Your issue is a common. Firefox and Chrome have both been referenced as over-saturating there colors at certain times.

ralphch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Your issue is a common. Firefox and Chrome have both been referenced as over-saturating there colors at certain times.

I basically see Firefox displaying the same colors as Illustrator and Sketch. It's Chrome, Safari and Preview that are "fading out" these colors. So I would assume Firefox and Illustrator are "correct".

Do you know what the proper way to check colors, calibrate a MacBook monitor is? Isn't the "Color LCD" color profile supposed to be the proper factory-configured profile for this display?

Sorry for the newbie question, but I'm concerned, since I can't tell whether the screen is representing colors correctly. Is Chrome/Safari/Preview "wrong" and Firefox/Illustrator "right", is it the other way around?

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
I basically see Firefox displaying the same colors as Illustrator and Sketch. It's Chrome, Safari and Preview that are "fading out" these colors. So I would assume Firefox and Illustrator are "correct".

Do you know what the proper way to check colors, calibrate a MacBook monitor is? Isn't the "Color LCD" color profile supposed to be the proper factory-configured profile for this display?

Sorry for the newbie question, but I'm concerned, since I can't tell whether the screen is representing colors correctly. Is Chrome/Safari/Preview "wrong" and Firefox/Illustrator "right", is it the other way around?

I use a physical colorimeter from X-rite. It is overkill for most users, but I have had good luck with it.

I believe there are software tools that come with MacOS. Hopefully someone will chime in in how to use them.

mkelly

Cancelled
Nov 29, 2007

IIRC It's the other way around. Apple's tools are correctly interpreting and applying the color profile you select in macOS (although you should still do a calibration yourself). Firefox and Illustrator aren't.

If you google for "Safari vs. Firefox color profile" (or variations of that string), you'll find many references to the problem. It's been an ongoing issue for a few years. Chrome used to be a problem too but they rectified it in 2016 or early 2017.

Here's a page that discusses the issue in more depth (and offers a guide to getting Firefox to respect the color profile you've set): https://www.color-management-guide.com/web-browser-color-management.html

I don't work with Illustrator so I can't give you a hand with the settings there, but if you Google for "Safari vs. Illustrator color profile" you'll likely come across some useful info.

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
The MacBook Pro has a wide-gamut P3 display, capable of displaying more saturated colors than a more common sRGB display. Firefox does not color correct for this and therefore colors are more saturated than intended. Safari does account for this and displays color correctly.

ralphch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Here's a page that discusses the issue in more depth (and offers a guide to getting Firefox to respect the color profile you've set): https://www.color-management-guide.com/web-browser-color-management.html

Thanks! I switched the gfx.color_management.mode option in Firefox to 1 and now it displays the same colors as Chrome and Safari. Here's what's strange though...

If I now change my Macbook's display color profile to sRGB instead of Color LCD, now the colors in Firefox stay dull and Chrome/Safari appear more saturated. Do you know why this is?

I'm having a really difficult time understanding all of this... Is "Color LCD" the right color profile to use on a MacBook?

Reactions: mkelly

caramelpolice

macrumors regular
Oct 6, 2012
Thanks! I switched the gfx.color_management.mode option in Firefox to 1 and now it displays the same colors as Chrome and Safari. Here's what's strange though...

If I now change my Macbook's display color profile to sRGB instead of Color LCD, now the colors in Firefox stay dull and Chrome/Safari appear more saturated. Do you know why this is?

I'm having a really difficult time understanding all of this... Is "Color LCD" the right color profile to use on a MacBook?

Color LCD is the correct profile to use. That is the factory calibration Apple made for your display.

Setting your MacBook's color profile to sRGB means you're telling your Mac to assume your display is sRGB - but it isn't, so colors are going to be more saturated than intended because your display has a wider color gamut than sRGB. Safari and Chrome are acting correctly in this case, which is to say, they're following your color profile - don't ask me what Firefox's problem is, though.

Long story short - the default calibration is the one you want to use. Firefox and some apps are just bad at color management. The more saturated colors may "look" nicer to your eye but they are not what the images and websites you're viewing are intended to look like.

Reactions: mkelly

ralphch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Color LCD is the correct profile to use. That is the factory calibration Apple made for your display.

Setting your MacBook's color profile to sRGB means you're telling your Mac to assume your display is sRGB - but it isn't, so colors are going to be more saturated than intended because your display has a wider color gamut than sRGB. Safari and Chrome are acting correctly in this case, which is to say, they're following your color profile - don't ask me what Firefox's problem is, though.

Long story short - the default calibration is the one you want to use. Firefox and some apps are just bad at color management. The more saturated colors may "look" nicer to your eye but they are not what the images and websites you're viewing are intended to look like.

Thanks! This explains a lot :)

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP asked:
"I'm having a really difficult time understanding all of this... Is "Color LCD" the right color profile to use on a MacBook?"

I use the profile that pleases my eyes.
I don't care at all as to whether it's "the right profile" or not.
But... that's just me.

invisibleshoes

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2014
OP asked:
"I'm having a really difficult time understanding all of this... Is "Color LCD" the right color profile to use on a MacBook?"

I use the profile that pleases my eyes.
I don't care at all as to whether it's "the right profile" or not.
But... that's just me.

Hear hear. I have it set on Generic RGB and love the dark contrast.

ralphch

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 20, 2012
Now that I'm spending more time with my new MBP, I'm finding that the display is color is quite warm: specifically, the white feels a bit reddish. I was at an Apple Store recently and compared my computer to one on display, and the one at the store was much cooler.

Is this ok? Should I change the white point on the color profile, or will that mess with my other colors? Or should I get it checked out?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.