Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Micho_33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Hi, I'm having serious troubles to figure out what's wrong with a mid-2012 13" MBP. Already ran the onboard diagnostics utility (boot with command D) and came up with no hardware errors.

Basically upon booting the laptop, it shuts down a bit short after the progress bar with the apple logo appears. Pls refer to this video:

I've tried all this and always see the same behaviour:
  • Resetting PRAM & SMC
  • Swapping RAM with that of another working Macbook
  • Swaping the hard drive with that of another working laptop
  • Booting in safe mode (command S)
  • Booting with a USB drive with a bootable image of OS Sierra

My son says he was using the computer and suddenly was prompted to restarting it; he would click on "cancel" but prompt kept appearing until the computer shut down on its own. Since then it has not been able to boot.

Is my logic board fried? I don't know what else to try :(

Input greatly appreciated...

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
I think it might be fried, yes. :/ Especially if you've tried all of those things.

My first thought was the HD was failing perhaps, but that looks like the logic board. Super depressing. A new one would be half the cost of a new MBP also, unfortunately.

Best of luck in getting it sorted. You could try taking it into an Apple store to see if they can confirm. Not sure what their repair service would be like.

Micho_33

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 18, 2016
Thank you for your input. Later after my original post my teenage son "confessed" the problem began after he squirted directly on the keyboard a Wyndex-like cleaner.

So, I left it under the sun for some 4 hours. I connected it again and the computer powered on like nothing happened! :)

2mpeluo.jpg

I'm still worried about any residue of the cleaner left inside... don't know if I should venture into disassembling the computer.

In the meantime, my teenage son is super happy and relieved...
paperclip.png
Attached Images

Decimotox

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
Thank you for your input. Later after my original post my teenage son "confessed" the problem began after he squirted directly on the keyboard a Wyndex-like cleaner.

So, I left it under the sun for some 4 hours. I connected it again and the computer powered on like nothing happened! :)

2mpeluo.jpg

I'm still worried about any residue of the cleaner left inside... don't know if I should venture into disassembling the computer.

In the meantime, my teenage son is super happy and relieved...
paperclip.png
Attached Images

Kids are fun, aren't they? Lol. Constantly trying to keep my 4 year old from destroying my MBP.

Glad it works now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.