Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
I had a new battery installed by a 3rd party on my iPhone 6.
I had logged out of all my apps, but somehow I forgot to have the passcode on. So they had full access to the phone (just not getting into my apps).
Is it possible they could have installed any kind of 'malware' without me knowing?
I use that term loosely to mean anything that would transmit any of my data back to them?
Like if I now use my user name and password to sign into the apps like email, could they get it?

Thanks

freeagent

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2020
I'm 98% sure its fine. You could change your iCloud password, probably a good idea.

Its not good business to steal from your customer.

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
Change your Apple ID password, OP. That should give you peace of mind. If it doesn’t, wipe the phone, reinstall from backup after you have changed your Apple ID password. Make sure you have 2FA turned on.

Hoff

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2018
You could always reset the phone and restore from icloud. Of course change your passwords. Although you're most likely safe.
Yeah I'd like to do that. There's just one app (very old version) I have that I want to make sure it will not update itself when I do resotore.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Yeah I'd like to do that. There's just one app (very old version) I have that I want to make sure it will not update itself when I do resotore.
An iCloud backup doesn't backup apps. It'll just just download them from the app store after your restore is complete. Whatever the current version of them is.

If you are still using an older version of iOS and iTunes. You can backup and restore that way. I think iTunes 12.6 is the last to backup apps. So, you'd need that or earlier. Assuming your iOS version isn't too new.

Another option is a third party backup program. Something which gives your more granular control of backups and restores. AnyTrans appears to give that ability. Although I've never tried it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.