Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
I just got 14" MacBook Pro with M2 Pro. Everything is great so far, except the trackpad.

The two bottom corners are sometimes much harder to press than the rest of it, which is not great, because I prefer to press the lower-left corner. I set the click force to light already, but it's still much, much harder to press in these corners. And the strange thing is that after hard-pressing it, it becomes good for some time and then requires a hard press again.

Is this normal in these new trackpads? Am I just not supposed to press the corners? Im pretty sure that's not the case. If it's not an expected behavior, is there a chance it would fix itself over time? Has anyone experienced this with their new MacBook Pro with Apple Silicon?

Last edited:

hg.wells

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2013
The trackpad is not actually a button, it vibrates to make you think you’re pressing a button. Try turning on tap to click in the trackpad preferences.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
The trackpad is not actually a button, it vibrates to make you think you’re pressing a button. Try turning on tap to click in the trackpad preferences.
I already have tap-to-click enabled, but it doesn't answer my concern. Let's say I'm taking a screenshot with cmd+shift+4. I need to drag an area to capture. I start with the lower-left corner, but in order to register the "click" to start dragging the area, I need to press the corner very hard (unless it's been pressed previously and is good for some time). To me it seems like a badly assembled trackpad, but I'm waiting for the feedback here.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
Does sound like could be faulty, maybe try running edge of a bit of paper lightly into and around the corners to see if there's any particles trapped.

Whilst the trackpads don't press like a button, there is still a fractional movement against the strain gauges that measure the press and I've occasionally found a bit of crap under the edges makes them misbehave a little.

PROFESS0R

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2017
This may sound strange, but try this:

Put some lotion on your hands and rub it in. Then test the trackpad. Any difference in the corners?

Joe

ab22

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
Return it & get another - it's not working normally. Try some demo models in store while you're there.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
Return it & get another - it's not working normally. Try some demo models in store while you're there.
I checked today and it looks like all or most trackpads behave like this. Which is strange, because my MacBook Air 2018 had perfect trackpad. These newer ones just have semi-dead edges of the trackpad, which sometimes click and sometimes don't. I checked on multiple M3 Pro units.

ab22

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
I checked today and it looks like all or most trackpads behave like this. Which is strange, because my MacBook Air 2018 had perfect trackpad. These newer ones just have semi-dead edges of the trackpad, which sometimes click and sometimes don't. I checked on multiple M3 Pro units.
That's sad to hear - I'll check a few at the local store in a couple of days. M2/2022 seems good here - even when looking for problems; but as you say, the M3 is different.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
That's sad to hear - I'll check a few at the local store in a couple of days. M2/2022 seems good here - even when looking for problems; but as you say, the M3 is different.
I mean M1 and M2 too, at least the Pro. I actually got M2 Pro.

ab22

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
Trying to re-create on an M2 Air here - I can only find problems if say, I use right middle finger so close to the right edge / corners that part of the fingertip overlaps : then it behaves inconsistently - sometimes clicking, sometimes not. Pressure seems to make no difference.

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
Trying to re-create on an M2 Air here - I can only find problems if say, I use right middle finger so close to the right edge / corners that part of the fingertip overlaps : then it behaves inconsistently - sometimes clicking, sometimes not. Pressure seems to make no difference.
Thanks for being involved in my investigation :) I will experiment with M2 Airs too.

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
OP:

You realize that the "force touch" (or whatever it is) on the newer MacBooks doesn't "move", right?

This is one "feature" that I, too, definitely don't care for. But it is what it is.

Many times I try to "click" (either left or right), and... nothing happens. Touch light, touch hard, touch hardER, still... nothing.

I've found that going to the trackpad setting and changing the setting may or may NOT help.

It took me a little time to realize the following (and I still make the error sometimes):
If you use both hands to do something with the trackpad, a finger on one hand may be "close enough" to the surface to impact what the other hand is doing. To put that another way, it may interfere with the "choice" you are trying to make with the other hand.

Try physically moving one hand "away from" the trackpad, and THEN make the selection. This can make a difference.

I MUCH preferred the older style trackpad that has physical (moving) switches inside...

bearinthetown

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 5, 2018
OP:

You realize that the "force touch" (or whatever it is) on the newer MacBooks doesn't "move", right?

This is one "feature" that I, too, definitely don't care for. But it is what it is.

Many times I try to "click" (either left or right), and... nothing happens. Touch light, touch hard, touch hardER, still... nothing.

I've found that going to the trackpad setting and changing the setting may or may NOT help.

It took me a little time to realize the following (and I still make the error sometimes):
If you use both hands to do something with the trackpad, a finger on one hand may be "close enough" to the surface to impact what the other hand is doing. To put that another way, it may interfere with the "choice" you are trying to make with the other hand.

Try physically moving one hand "away from" the trackpad, and THEN make the selection. This can make a difference.

I MUCH preferred the older style trackpad that has physical (moving) switches inside...
Yes, I realize how this trackpad works, but I'm not sure if that makes any difference for my issue.

I need to learn to avoid the edges of this trackpad, which is annoying, but not a deal-breaker. In general, I find both the keyboard and the trackpad a downgrade of their former selves. I found out that I also often press some keys on the keyboard by the edge and it doesn't register the press. Wasn't the case when the keyboard was lower.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.