Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malik

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2005
USA
I have a highend PC running Windows XP pro. Athlon 64 w/ 6600GT 256mb and 2Gb of DDR400 (low latancy), and two hard drives in RAID0 (2x 160GB).

I use the system for allsorts of things, games, internet, email, dvd's, creative stuff like messing with video/images that sort of thing (i have a good size Dell screen (24inch) which makes it a nice machine for playing DVD's in the bedroom. The thing is loud though, i mean too loud to have on when im trying to work proper and im not playing music or have something else as a distraction. Even playing some RTS's can become annoying cos of the noise..

I was waiting on the outcome of the apple expo to see if there were any updates. But there is also this Intel thing. the MacMini looks good but i want a system that will expand like a PC and the mini is crippled from the offset with that graphics card (i dont like ATi stuff in general either anyways) and the hard drive is way too small. The iMac G5 is a lil better but its still a bit lacking, i read a review and they said the graphics card is the limiting factor for 'future' potential and its not a good system if you like to play games too.

I think the Pmac is the only option for me, you can get a 6800 ultra for it so that should be a nice upgrade to whats in my a64 right now. There isnt one certain game i play in windows, and ive looked over the games for Mac on apples site and the good ones id play seem to be all there (UT2004!! Fine with me.) but im looking at spending a good chunck of $$$ on this - the pm isnt cheap.

I was considering moving to an apple system in Feb but i ended up upgrading my pc instead because i wasent totally sure. Now ive made the choice im thinking i should forget it now that apple have said they are changing processors. I wuld like to buy a 2.7 G5, 2gig RAM, 2x 400gb HDD and the 6800 Ultra and hook that up to my current dell monitor but i want some info about whats coming soon.

Is it worth spending on the current systems, cos if i buy software (like i get photoshop with it) and they are moving to intel it seems kinda pointless. Like im wasting my money - i wish apple would announce something to let people interested in switching know what the score is. I read different stuff but most people are saying the G4/5 is dead, and apple arent gonna be spending anymore time on it - so even if they keep some legacy support for it to keep people happy that means that osx/software wont be optimized anymore right? They wont focus on making it run better on the PPC when the Intels are the 'new' thing. They will want everyone to get intel for that.

Should i stick it out my PC and wait for the Intel Power Macs? I was thinking of having both but id like to do a complete switch relly. I wouldnt use the PC so it would be pointless to keep it (Ill sell it on QXL i guss).

edit::

I wuld have already gone ahed with the system if i hadent read up about the intel stuff. i looked in some other forums and i dunno what to make of it, seems like everyone is just bs'ing when they dont know anything for sure. 2006 was when i was told intel systems would arrive.

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
How many Intel Macs in public release? None.
How many PPC Macs installed across the globe. Millions.

Do you honestly think that software suppliers are going to ignore that market?

By the time PPC software is obsolete, your new G5 will be too.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
Blue Velvet said:
How many Intel Macs in public release? None.
How many PPC Macs installed across the globe. Millions.

Do you honestly think that software suppliers are going to ignore that market?

By the time PPC software is obsolete, your new G5 will be too.

Agreed...

All in all, there will always be updates, upgrades and changes to come.

The best time to switch? Always "now"
Which system to buy? You can always check the Buyer's Guide for help in answering those questions as far as upgrades and cycles.

WOF WOF – DAWG
pawprintred.gif

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
whats the point of waiting, when you could begin enjoying the best operating system in the world. :D

i switched earlier this year, and i have not even looked back. seriously.
i was a little upset thinking that my new purchase would be out dated in a year when i initially
read about the whole intel switch, but what ever, thats technology for you and blue velvet makes a very valid point too.

besides, when longhorn (or what ever it's called now) is released your peecee will be dated too.

i say go for it!

camomac

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2005
Left Coast
lexfuzo said:
I wouldn't wait for the Macintels, but I heard there are some dual-dual-Powermacs around the corner - I'd wait two more weeks for them.

i would agree with this as well!

Bern

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2004
Australia
Well you have 3 choices:-

1. Buy now

2. Wait for Mactel

3. Update your pc when Vista is released because apparently no current pc will run Vista.

FF_productions

macrumors 68030
Apr 16, 2005
Mt. Prospect, Illinois
Bern said:
3. Update your pc when Vista is released because apparently no current pc will run Vista.

Woah, His PC better be enough to run Vista, if it can't, Microsoft will die. :eek: (not like it would be a bad thing)

The Intel issue: Powermacs won't come out until 2007, heck it wouldn't even be a good idea to get a rev a machine

Switch! BUT, wait for the expo, hope for dual cores, if not get a dual 2.7 g5, you will be a happy camper.

Good Luck!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
camomac said:
whats the point of waiting, when you could begin enjoying the best operating system in the world. :D

That's it. The OS has never been better. Some people may argue that 10.3 was better/more stable but irrespective of that, 10.4 is way better than XP could ever pretend to be.

Don't worry about the Intel/PPC thing. The great thing about Macs is that you don't have to worry about what sort of chip runs it, that's something for the developers to worry about. :)

lopresmb

macrumors 6502
Apr 29, 2005
If you can settle on a current hardware offering, I would go ahead and switch, now is the perfect time from a software (OSX) standpoint. You aren't going to loose PPC support for a loooooooong time (people with intels are going to be the onl ones suffering for a while waiting for programmers to catch up) The OS, and the future potential for growth in Apple has never been stronger. If you can afford it, switch now...

P.S. With that monitor (which I would assume you'd want to keep), I'd suggest a powermac, or a 15 or 17 powerbook, as they have the horsepower to run it. (the mini won't support it at full resolution).

jiv3turkey748

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2004
atlanta
id wait for the dual core powermacs, because if you dont and they come out right after you buy your new computer you will be pissed

yenko

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2005
SouthWest-USA
You know damn well that as soon as you buy it or pay a certain price, they'll upgrade it and you'll be behind or someone will be selling for a lower price. :eek:

You can go on forever with that kind of thinking.......or just......go.......and......Switch! :D

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
It's a good time, but it will be even better next year.

Get a low end Mac, maybe a Mac Mini, start building a familiarity with the OS and establish a software library, and in 2-3 years (or even in one if you wish) buy an Intel Mac.

Why do I say this? An Intel Mac will be a switcher's paradise. The ability to dual boot Windows and Mac OS X, run many Windows apps through WINE and Windows games through Cedega, etc.

mduser63

macrumors 68040
Nov 9, 2004
Salt Lake City, UT
I think now is as good a time as any to switch. PowerPC Macs will continue to be well support for a long time. There are millions and millions of them in use right now, and that's not going to change until several years after the Intel switch is complete.

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
Minitrue
mduser63 said:
I think now is as good a time as any to switch. PowerPC Macs will continue to be well support for a long time. There are millions and millions of them in use right now, and that's not going to change until several years after the Intel switch is complete.

Just wait a bit.. at least for PCI express to make it into those PMs!

Chrispy

macrumors 68020
Dec 27, 2004
Indiana
I would say buy now while PPC is still the standard. Once the Intel machines come out then it will be harder to find PPC machines. I think you are better off riding out the first revisions of the Intel Macs on a PPC machine.

bryanc

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2003
Fredericton, NB Canada
Way to give the guy mixed messages, eh?

Seriously, though, it's a tough call. If you're really into gaming, and the titles you want to play aren't out for the Mac, I'd hold off. If you do development, or creative stuff, the current PowerMacs will be powerhouses for a few years to come, and serviceable for a long time after that.

As far as Apple supporting the PPC into the future, not only would it be suicidal to hang their pro-buying customers out to dry, they've made it so easy to support the PPC with Xcode that I think we'll be seeing universal binaries for a long time to come... possibly forever: I suspect Intel will be releasing some new chips in the next few years that aren't strictly x86, and Apple's development tools are already chip-agnostic. I wouldn't be at all surprised if some more target-architecture check-boxes appear in Xcode in the future. Different apps will be optimized for different CPUs, so you'll buy the right Mac for the job.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.