Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Photorun

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2003
NYC
Sparky's said:
I tell you some people here can really get your dander up!!

And what i***t said you couldn't scan currency??? I did this a few minutes ago using a Powerlook III via Scansoft SE directly into Photoshop CS, then (according to proper law) modified it to 50% of original size and wrote over it "Marc say's you can scan currency, just know the proper laws accordingly"

Damn Abe has a big noggin'!

Blue Velvet

Moderator emeritus
Jul 4, 2004
Sparky's said:
And what i***t said you couldn't scan currency??? I did this a few minutes ago using a Powerlook III via Scansoft SE directly into Photoshop CS, then (according to proper law) modified it to 50% of original size and wrote over it "Marc say's you can scan currency, just know the proper laws accordingly"

Interesting reading, this thread -- I attempted to scan some money (UK £5) into Photoshop CS yesterday and got the warning. Tried scanning it from another app and opening the TIFF in Pshop, still the same warning...

I was planning on using a Pshopped & distorted version of a banknote to illustrate an article -- I'm going to put Pshop 7 back on the Scanning Mac on Monday to get this done...

devman

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
AU
7on said:
I also think I heard that the Yen nor the Euro can be scanned as well.

Anyhoo, I use VueScan for my scanning needs.

One question concerning whether I should upgrade...
are any of the "incositencies" within the apps fixed?

Like deselect in Photoshop 7 being Cmd+D while in Illustrator it's Cmd+Shift+A

That's still the same with CS.

7on said:
I've been thinking that since I am a student I should upgrade. Last summer I bought the DV suite because I mess with digital video some. Other than Premiere totally sucking, it was nice. Though I'd like Indesign and GoLive too. Oh, can you print to PDF in indesign3? I hate that I have to print to .PS and Distill it to get a .PDF.

Export to PDF (with presets, e.g. screen, print, etc.) is in ID3.

dotdotdot

macrumors 68020
Jan 23, 2005
LOL

Counterfeit or w/e people can't scan money... They are afraid of that without realizing they need to spend REAL money for a product close to 1,000 dollars.

AND, CS has the thing where you need to do what Windows XP does kind of and call Adobe for a registration code if that code was already used, so that would not work for counterfeiters...

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
wow this is really wierd.. i scanned in some money and when i went into photoshop, expecting a message, i got nothing about counterfit. Whats wrong with that>>

CrackedButter

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2003
51st State of America
dotdotdot said:
LOL

Counterfeit or w/e people can't scan money... They are afraid of that without realizing they need to spend REAL money for a product close to 1,000 dollars.

AND, CS has the thing where you need to do what Windows XP does kind of and call Adobe for a registration code if that code was already used, so that would not work for counterfeiters...

I don't know how to fully interpret your post but I hope this is a decent rebuttal, tell me if I am wrong. I'm under the impression that your issue is the cost of the software?

The thing is, to a professional who NEEDS this software, the cost of CS is small fry. When a photographer can buy a single camera lens for triple the price or a Graphic designer can buy a 30" monitor for just over double, the cost issue is kinda mute. More so when it is so important, I would consider it the cheapest component of any creative professionals' workflow.

The Black Rock

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2005
What I'm really hoping for is that with the advent of Core Image, Adobe will finally have some serious competition on it's hands. Smaller companies able to take advantage of the tools that Core Image offers, *will* make a program that does better than any version of Photoshop. I won't say that it'll will do everything better than Photoshop, it will most likely start out as one or two things. But that crack is all there needs to be for the flood to come rushing in.

Suppose for instance you need to do some different burning/dodging effects and PS just can't do it as well as you'd like; well you open up that new freeware dodge/burn program port the image into there, do the work you've always wanted to do, and bam, it's done.

Third party stuff is out there already that does better jobs than PS, take Grain Surgery or Noise Ninja for example. Imagine what could be done with Core Image using just about any other tool. I'm looking forward to instantaneous color/hue/contrast adjustments, using that nice GPU I'm getting.

I don't want to bash Photoshop and say something stupid like "it's terrible at everything", because that would be a lie. Photoshop is an incredible tool, the best out there in fact, and I've been using it for years. I just think that they need competition. They're too expensive (perhaps prohibitively expensive in some cases), and sometimes it feels like they're just being lazy.

Bring on Core Image!

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
jer446 said:
wow this is really wierd.. i scanned in some money and when i went into photoshop, expecting a message, i got nothing about counterfit. Whats wrong with that>>
Perhaps you had a poor scanner, so when you scanned it, it couldn't recognize the scanned note.

kyle

Eastend

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2004
Nara, Japan
Oh, this is an educational thread, I did not know you could not scan the money. I understand why they did it, over here in Japan every other day some kid on a scanner is making Yen. Looks like people will have to wait for the next big update and see if a Pro version comes out, wonder if they will eventually take your fingerprints to buy PhotoShop?

Brian

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Eastend said:
Oh, this is an educational thread, I did not know you could not scan the money. I understand why they did it, over here in Japan every other day some kid on a scanner is making Yen. Looks like people will have to wait for the next big update and see if a Pro version comes out, wonder if they will eventually take your fingerprints to buy PhotoShop?

Brian

Yeah, the people we share our office with next door actually print t-shirts for the Bureau of Printing and engraving and had to get the money images from them after trying to scan it in CS.

Mord

macrumors G4
Original poster
Aug 24, 2003
UK
i made this thread an age ago, well i'm still useing 7 and i'm scared cs will be dead slow on my 600MHz ibook so i think i'll stick to it ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.