Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spacesword

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2017
I currently have a 2016 MacBook Pro with the function keys. This model only has 2, thunderbolt 3 ports.

Currently, I have 1 1080p display, 1 4K@60hz display plus the MacBook Pro screen running. I am using an adapter and a TB3 to displayport cable.

I was wondering if it would be possible to replace the 1080p screen with a Dell 27 Ultra HD 4k Monitor - P2715Q.

This would mean I would have to connect the Dell to the laptop with the TB3 to displayport cable and then connect the second 4K screen using the displayport out on the Dell screen. The other TB port would be used by the adapter for USB 3.0 ports and power pass thru.

My question is would this be possible to run both 4K's at 60hz using this setup while still being able to also use the laptop screen?

killawat

macrumors 68000
Sep 11, 2014
MacOS does not support MST for daisy chaining.

Additionally your hardware will support MST for daisy chaining when running Windows via Bootcamp. Your best bet is to get a TB3 dock with dual display outputs.

spacesword

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2017
MacOS does not support MST for daisy chaining.

Additionally your hardware will support MST for daisy chaining when running Windows via Bootcamp. Your best bet is to get a TB3 dock with dual display outputs.

This is one of the things I was confused about because on this page they say MST is supported: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT206587

So is MST and daisy chaining different things then?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.