Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abs_p

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2011
Hi, I'm looking to purchase an iPhone strictly for social media. Snapchat, Instagram, the camera is just better. It'll only be on Wi-Fi, so I didn't care if it was blacklisted. Is there any way to circumvent the iCloud lock at all, as of 2018? I'm seeing an ad on Craigslist that offers to do it for $240. Now of course this is very hefty but I'm wondering what process even exists to do so? Maybe I can perform it on my own at a lower cost.

Edit: I've found this site with 5 methods, and they don't seem too risky, only visible downfall is that the max supported is iOS 9. Anyone used any of these before?

Also, if I purchase an iPhone that is reset, meaning it would need to be set up, does it still require SIM activation? I know the 4 and 3GS used to but idk about now. There's a good deal for one but it has a broken sim card reader. If I can just get to the home screen and use the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, that's perfect for me.

Appreciate any other suggestions.

Get a lock SE for $150-160. BBY and Walmart sell them. You get a very fast phone and you dont have to deal with a shady device.

Docd62

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Actually i found the 6S for 200 easy from swappa. And im not even considering that 240.

Also bro no illegal activity here because it could be lost and not stolen... I dont know man, I just know it's iCloud locked, nothing more

How is a phone “lost” if a person has it sell. They could have “lost” the passcode/password. If they found the phone technically it’s not theirs to sell. So this maybe considered promoting illegal activity. Any phone that is iCloud locked in most cases you should stay away as it’s a good chance it’s stolen or at the very least not theirs to sell.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

TripleYoThreat

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2017
Hmmm, Swappa doesn't allow phones that are iCloud-locked to be listed/sold:
Yes, separate topics though.
The 6S on swappa is clean

The icloud lock discussion was about an icloud locked phone.

Ay i like the SE idea but i actually just found a 6S plus for 200 on Craigslist. I suppose I'll try for that.

Conclusion is: avoid iCloud lock.
SIM card reader issues or blacklisting will only be an issue if it is on the welcome screen. If it is on springboard it is fine

blaine07

macrumors 68020
Nov 14, 2014
Oklahoma
Dude, do yourself, and everyone a favor and don’t consider buying a iCloud locked phone. Most that are locked are locked for a reason; they’re stolen. Do not put any money into that market and support that business. Don’t give a likely stolen device a value because in big picture it just promotes a thief to steal another knowing he can unload them. Frankly I can’t believe this conversation has been taken this far

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Well it's in person so if they didn't do it, I wouldn't even pay, but anyways I'm not considering any of those services... Just wondering what methods they used such that I may do so.
The handing of the phone and your cash may be in person. The 'unlock' will be done elsewhere or you'll end up shot and they will get your car / shoes / bicycle / skateboard as well.

See bro, they are liars and thieves and not to be trusted. There is no unlock service for an iCloud locked phone. Bro, it's in my job to challenge the security of Apple devices, specifically ( although, I've been known to work on other equipment as well ).

I'm happy to hear that you are not considering any of those services. Please be safe. There are no extra lives in this game.

Last edited:

saltd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2010
No it's not. Knowingly buying stolen property is a crime. It also makes you a crappy person. Buy a phone from a carrier or other legit source like the rest of us.
For sure. It only takes a few precious minutes of googling to know that iCloud lock is basically a brick wall, and that buying these locked devices benefits criminal activity and/or makes you a victim of it. Either way, it’s a poor choice.

How is it that this thread (which basically is asking how to activate a stolen iPhone) has been tolerated by mods for 2 pages?

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
I've never understood why places like eBay even allow a listing for an iCloud locked device.

They are simply facilitating the sale of stolen property.

Reactions: blaine07

msp3

Suspended
May 9, 2015
>is supporting criminals, buying stolen goods, and bribing carrier employees to scrub blacklists ok? Because I'm a weak-minded scumbag who needs moral justification before doing any/all of the above

fix'd

jacovr

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2018
For sure. It only takes a few precious minutes of googling to know that iCloud lock is basically a brick wall, and that buying these locked devices benefits criminal activity and/or makes you a victim of it. Either way, it’s a poor choice.

How is it that this thread (which basically is asking how to activate a stolen iPhone) has been tolerated by mods for 2 pages?

Where the OP gets the phone is irrelevant, unfortunately he used purchased in his title.
I believe this question can be relative to edge cases and without going into to much detail here is my scenario.

I have an iPhone 7 (256gb) icloud locked sitting on my desk for the last 6 months. I use a bottom end 6s. It would be great if I can use the 7 and then use the 6s to convert someone from Android :)
Now where did I get the phone from you may ask, a distant relative. I've tried numerous times getting details from the guy and the answers end up with.
"I create icloud accounts for each device I buy and I have no idea what account it is asking for"
"I bought it somewhere overseas, can't remember"
"I think I used my dads CC"
"Who keeps receipts?"

How could someone be so careless?
Money. If you have enough and buy the phones as they get released you couldn't care less.
What about apps the guy purchased? "I just purchase them again"

Me? I am just a guy trying to revive a device.
Not trying to activate a stolen, lost, broken, etc phone therefore I believe the question can be relative.

You may think this is a made-up story. I wish it was.

Brandonjr36

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2016
Joplin
Where the OP gets the phone is irrelevant, unfortunately he used purchased in his title.
I believe this question can be relative to edge cases and without going into to much detail here is my scenario.

I have an iPhone 7 (256gb) icloud locked sitting on my desk for the last 6 months. I use a bottom end 6s. It would be great if I can use the 7 and then use the 6s to convert someone from Android :)
Now where did I get the phone from you may ask, a distant relative. I've tried numerous times getting details from the guy and the answers end up with.
"I create icloud accounts for each device I buy and I have no idea what account it is asking for"
"I bought it somewhere overseas, can't remember"
"I think I used my dads CC"
"Who keeps receipts?"

How could someone be so careless?
Money. If you have enough and buy the phones as they get released you couldn't care less.
What about apps the guy purchased? "I just purchase them again"

Me? I am just a guy trying to revive a device.
Not trying to activate a stolen, lost, broken, etc phone therefore I believe the question can be relative.

You may think this is a made-up story. I wish it was.
Maybe go on the iPhone and see what part of the email it is. And give it to him and see if he remembers it. I mean if he used the phone with that email/password for a year then he should be able to remember it. No matter how many phones/emails he has had.

Not calling anyone a liar but you would think he would keep the same email for his next phone. More of common sense imo. Who wants to go in and manually put all your contacts in and lose all your pics and apps. I don’t care how rich someone is. I just don’t see it.

Thaddeuz

macrumors member
Jun 6, 2017
You want to buy a stolen phone and want help? That makes you a thief too.

This thread should be blocked and the TS must get a warning.

Stealing and helping people to acces stolen devices is criminal activity.

I cant believe this thread isnt locked already.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.