Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

afuturestrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Hi,

I am trying to decide between a Macbook and Macbook Pro. The biggest issue for me is the graphics card.

One piece of software I will need to use for my business is a screencast creator such as ScreenFlow by Varasoftware.

The site lists "Quartz Extreme" as a system requirement.

Does the integrated graphics card in the Macbook support Quartz Extreme?

According to this Apple article one can check the machine easily

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=301347

Thanks in advance.

Killyp

macrumors 68040
Jun 14, 2006
If you have the option of getting the Pro, then there's no reason not to. It's actually a little more transportable than the MacBook in my experience due to the difference in thickness (makes a much bigger difference than you'd expect).

afuturestrader

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 29, 2008
Thanks for the answers.

It is generally thought that a piece of software like the one mentioned in my first post (screencast software) needs a dedicated graphics card?

Or should the intel integrated graphics suffice?

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Thanks for the answers.

It is generally thought that a piece of software like the one mentioned in my first post (screencast software) needs a dedicated graphics card?

Or should the intel integrated graphics suffice?
If my Macbook can handle light 3D gaming then screencasting is nothing. I checked the website and the application doesn't appear to be very demanding beyond Quartz Extreme support.

Sage Harupyuia

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2008
If my Macbook can handle light 3D gaming then screencasting is nothing. I checked the website and the application doesn't appear to be very demanding beyond Quartz Extreme support.

My Macbook runs iMovie, Final Cut Express and the occasional DotA and everything is still as good as i expect it to be. ;)

sushi

Moderator emeritus
Jul 19, 2002
キャンプスワ&#
If you have the option of getting the Pro, then there's no reason not to. It's actually a little more transportable than the MacBook in my experience due to the difference in thickness (makes a much bigger difference than you'd expect).
Funny you mention this.

I have a PB15 and recently purchased a MBP15. I can't believe how different they feel because the MBP15 is a bit thinner than the PB15.

Thinness really makes a difference.

To the OP, get the MBP if you can.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.