Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
I know i can output individual usd files from composer, so i can use it in a non visionos realitykit project, but i dont see a way of using a composer pro package in realitykit or a way of making a realitykit file

Anyone know?

edit: figured it out. kinda. i didn't have the package in the frameworks library dependencies. still not sure how to access the models for said package tho.

edit: no go. i get "Error: for --platform, value must be one of [xros, xrsimulator], not 'macosx'

so is one not supposed to be able to make an app for xros and mac at the same time? like do i need to export all my usd files and open them in reality composer (not pro) to make the right schema for mac? would the shaders still work? can i expose shader values to be used in my game? this seems pretty fragmented. i don't get it.

EDIT 2: how are we supposed to make realitykit files for mac/ios/ipad on xcode 15 at all? we have to keep xcode 14?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: wilhoitm

Kenny Smith

Suspended
Dec 6, 2022
As of my knowledge cutoff in September 2021, RealityKit in Xcode 15 supports creating apps for iOS, iPadOS, and macOS. However, there might be specific requirements and limitations for certain platforms. It's important to consult the latest official documentation and resources provided by Apple for up-to-date information.

topdrawer

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 1, 2012
An apple employee working on xrOS(thats what he calls it) confirmed to me that reality composer is limited to vision os right now and there might be support for ios/mac in the future. He said it is still very early in dev and dont want to break things by supporting cross platform feautures right now.

So hopefully next version we can use it for hybrid projects.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.