Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
Hey,

I have macOS 10.14.4 that brings this Safari feature:
Adds Dark Mode support for websites that support custom color schemes

So, I expected websites such as YouTube, Twitter, DuckDuckGo (that feature a dark theme/night mode) to be... well... dark. And that's not the case. I have to manually turn on that option on these websites. It's not the default rendering.

Were my expectations wrong?

martyjmclean

Cancelled
Jan 24, 2018
Yes, the website has to be modified to support the automatica switch.
But then what's automatic? What's the new feature about?
If the website supports standard colour schemes, it's automatic. Unfortunately this "feature" is useless, most websites use their own colour schemes and Safari's 6% market share is not going to persuade anyone.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
If the website supports standard colour schemes, it's automatic. Unfortunately this "feature" is useless, most websites use their own colour schemes and Safari's 6% market share is not going to persuade anyone.

OK, got it. But I thought Safari feature was more clever than that by really analysing the CSS and "understand/detect" the dark colour schemes used by the website.

Ritsuka

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2006
No, the feature simply tells the website "hey I prefer dark/normal", if the website do nothing with this info, nothing will happen.

Yoms

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 1, 2016
No, the feature simply tells the website "hey I prefer dark/normal", if the website do nothing with this info, nothing will happen.

Ok, thanks. Yes I found it. It's a CSS query indeed. I thought it the other way around : after downloading the CSS files form the website, Safari would look into all of them in order to find it there's a dark scheme and will render it preferably.

steve62388

macrumors 68040
Apr 23, 2013
The css media query in question is being adopted by other browsers, so expect sites to start supporting it over the coming months.

If iOS 13 ends up with a dark mode I suspect this will greatly accelerate adoption.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.